Network Connection

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Network Connection

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 am

I am trying to integrate Windows 7 computers into my network and phase out the old XP machines. The network runs on Server 2003 and is peer-to-peer.

After the Windows 7 computer has been off (or overnight), I can only access the server (and the mysql database) by logging in again. Of course, i don't want to have to do this every morning or trust this to my staff.

Can anyone offer enlightenment?

Thanks,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

teethdood

Re: Network Connection

Post by teethdood » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are probably referring to windows credentials.

Click Start, in Search Programs and Files search box, type "windows credentials" click "Add a Windows credential" then add name of your server, username and password. That gets stored permanently and you shouldn't have to log in to the server anymore. Good luck
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Phil - Thank you so much. That's a Windows item I was never aware of. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
best,

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 am

Mischief managed!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Ok! So my next question is how can I place a permission on the server (or modify the credential) so that Open Dental can get it's needed access, but so that the casual user (or bad user) can't access the server and muck around with it?

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Only 2 server folders should be made available: the A-Z folder and the X-ray images folder. Only those with saved windows credentials can access those 2 folders. You can specify more in-depth what each user (and therefore the windows credential) can do by setting permissions on those 2 folders (on the server, right click on those folders, properties, security, add/remove users and allow/deny permissions.) Try denying the "List folder contents". Can't list the content = can't muck it up. Generally though, you need to grant full control for your user otherwise you can't add/delete anything in the Images pane of OD.

So the short answer is there's nothing much you can do.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

Assuming you have a domain, keep the permissions locked down to only those domain users who need access. (You can probably do the same thing without a domain, but that's what I know) Then it is your responsibility to not leave any computer logged in and unattended. This should limit access to only your staff, but you have to put some measure of trust with them in the first place. In general if anyone else is on your network or computers, it's a bad thing.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 am

So on further inspection, I realized that only my shared folders were accessible. Phew! I was afraid that the C:\ drive on the server was being shared.

That being said, I will re-iterate that Windows 7 and Windows XP are a bit of a pain to merge together. I am uprgrading the workstations to Windows 7 Dell Optiplex 780's (SFF) which off lease are about $250-300 on e-bay. Most of these area only two years old. Next year, A new server and likely XDR sensors (I am on film now).

Once the Windows 7 workstations are installed, they are a much smoother machine than my old HP XP pro systems (DC5100).

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net