No quadrant options for perio procedures

For users or potential users.
dwnelson

No quadrant options for perio procedures

Post by dwnelson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I am having problems with electronic submissions for perio procedures because, with the exception of SRP, the codes for periodontal surgical services don't have the option of selecting the teeth or quadrant. In particular, I have run into problems with D4261 (osseous surgery, 1-3 teeth) and D4273 (connective tissue graft, per tooth). I will submit the procedure electronically using Open Dental, it will go through Dental XChange/ClaimConnect, there will be an error requesting me to submit the tooth number (because this is, frustratingly, not an option in Open Dental). When I make the correct change in Dental XChange, then I will get an NEA Fast Attach request. Then I get the claim or preauth in the mail asking for the correct quadrant. This has happened multiple times!

What do I do to correct these inconveniences?

jclaydds

Re: No quadrant options for perio procedures

Post by jclaydds » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 am

The solution is likely to be the need to edit the settings for this procedure.

Go to Lists ~ Procedure Codes

Double click on D4261 or D4273 to edit those procedures

In the Treatment Areas section, make sure tooth is selected so Open Dental will prompt you for a tooth number. There are other options that you can select a tooth range (We use for bridges in our practice). You can also specify quadrant, sextant, mouth, arch, surface, etc. Getting the appropriate setting correct for the procedure code will likely solve your problems.