Hardware question

For users or potential users.
Xstew

Hardware question

Post by Xstew » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

I am going from one old dentrix (v8) front desk to computers in the ops and digital X-rays. I need some advise on hardware selection. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems most agree with less than 10 workstations windows 7 set up without server software is the way to go. we are also going with XDR sensors and software.
Now assuming that is what we do what would be a good setup for the main computer that is designated the server? I am looking at Dell optiplex but what about processor, RAM, hard drive (7200 or go to precision line for 10k rpm drive). Also on some dell optiplex they offer encryption software for the drives, so is that a good idea?
On the operatory stations--same questions. But also, there would be no room for mini towers but we could fit the desktop size standing vertically in our cabinets. Would that be better than the small form factors for future upgrading? Is there a good USB extension to mount under the counter to easily connect the X-ray sensors so we are not trying to access a USB hidden in the cabinet.
For the anti virus, dell uses Trend micro. Does It slow the processor down? Is it better to configure without any antivirus and use something else?
Finally do the USB intraoral cameras work with 64bit operating systems?

Thanks for any help.

drtech

Re: Hardware question

Post by drtech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm

I recommend buying small form factor reconditioned computers for your ops. That's what I do and it saves a lot of money. Don't worry about upgrading in the future. It will be more cost effective to just buy another reconditioned computer in 4-5 years when you are ready to upgrade. The small form factor will really help you if trying to put them in cabinets. A word of caution. Usually cabinets are too closed in and cause overheating. If possible, leave them in a cabinet with the door off, or under the back counter like I do on the floor. Plenty of ventilation there. Almost any system with Win7 will work great for your operatory computers. We use XDR also. I just bought a bunch of USB hubs at a Black Friday sale a few years ago and they work great for plugging in the XDR sensors. For your server, get a fast computer, spend a little money here, but it does not have to be only a sever, you could use it as a workstation as well. Just make sure you have a backup plan for your data. Online and/or multiple local and offsite backups. (you can use each workstation as a backup drive and copy your data everyday using a program like Karen's Replicator.)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 am

For the server, 7200 rpm is fine. Drive encryption is ok for the server as long as there is no conflict with your backup solution. Don't worry about encryption for the workstations as they host no data. Your processor and ram choices depend on how much you want to future proof your hardware. There are basically two schools of thought here. Spend more on hardware and replace less often, or spend less and replace more often. I think this largely comes down to if you are doing the work yourself or not. If you are outsourcing your IT then it costs less overall to replace less often by buying beefier hardware. If you do the IT yourself then you usually get more bang for your buck by buying cheaper and dealing with replacing more often or intermittently as needed. Keeping that in mind, for your server computer I would go with at least a quad core and 4 to 6 gigs of ram.

For the workstations I agree with drtech. Small or ultra small form factor for cheap and replace 4-5 years or as needed. We have been getting small form factor optiplexs for under $400 as we need them. The ultra small form factors have an optional mounting kit that allows you to put the computer on a wall or the side of a cabinet. I would caution against a USB hub though for the sensor. Many devices explicitly state to not use a USB hub if you are having any problems. Just get a USB extension cable and use that. You can coil it on a hook and reach anywhere in the room if you get a long enough one.

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 pm

So for the server I7 intel processor with 7200 raid 1 hard drive. The workstations i3 or i5? I assume the encrption is just software and not any special hard drive so would it be better to have the IT guy install it with my backup? Also does encryption on the hard drive slow the network down? And do you guys have any thoughts on the trend micro antivirus software that dell bundles?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Workstations are gonna be fine with i3. Encryption should not slow down your network at all. It depends on the type of encrypting but the one from Dell is at least partially hardware dependent, and would be better to have them deliver it encrypted for the server. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Pl ... encryption. I would just let your IT guy know that the HD has windows 7 HD encryption enabled from the factory and he should be able to find a backup that is compatible without much problem. As for Trend Micro, I don't have much experience with them so I'll leave that to someone else to pipe up on. I will say however that I have never liked any AV that is bundled with a PC. Norton antivirus by Symantec has got to be one of, if the the worst product, I have ever used. Symantec Endpoint Protection enterprise antivirus is one of the best I've used. I will also mention that for the average office there are several free offerings that should be more than sufficient.

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 am

Looking at the dell site the last couple of days and they have changed the encryption offerings. the only hard drive that has encryption built in is 320 gb SATA 3gb/s. Is that large enough? Just starting with the digital xrays and image storing so I don't know how fast that will fill up.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 am

That's big enough for a few years, but don't forget that you'll need a larger hard drive somewhere for your backups. Maybe a portable Apricorn.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:12 pm

http://www.apricorn.com/products/hardwa ... -usb3.html

Like this?

Now to follow up, when you say a larger backup HD, is there a reason to have one bigger than the HD in your computer? Is that what you meant? And in a average 1 dr. office will the 320gb HD likely last at least 5 years? As I understand it the workstations have no need for the encryption but I assume if you have one of them desinated as a backup site then it should have the encryption as well?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Yes. I use an Apricorn on a daily basis. I no longer have to worry about it getting stolen.

I think your 320g is enough for a few years, maybe 3. I think 5 is stretching it. Right. No need for encryption on workstations since you shouldn't be storing anything on them. The backup software that we recommend, CrashPlan, takes care of encryption of the backup. So you wouldn't need to encrypt the HD of the backup machine if using CrashPlan.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:16 pm

So is the SED worth it since it only come in 320gb? It seems like a good solution in case of theft but 3 years seems quick to replace. Of course with HD failures maybe one should replace the HD every so often?