Scan to sheets

For users or potential users.
dentalba

Scan to sheets

Post by dentalba » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 pm

I have been looking for instructions on how to scan an existing form into sheets for referral slips and medical history forms. Can someone give me a step by step. I am missing something. Thanks

pedodoc25

Re: Scan to sheets

Post by pedodoc25 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm

me too thanx!

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Using an existing lab slip for a sheet walkthrough.

So basically how this works is that you are going to scan the lab slip and then build a sheet on top of it. All numbers are for example. Change and adapt any part of this walkthrough as needed to match your actual situation.

1. Scan your lab slip. I suggest saving at 300 dpi.

2. Resize your scan. A full size sheet of paper is going to be 850x1100 in the sheets setup but since your printer can't print all the way to the edge of the paper you want your dimensions to be smaller than that. For a full sheet lab slip I recommend resizing to 750px X 1000px. Save as PNG or JPG.

3. Create your base sheet. Open (Setup / Sheets) and create a new slip. Select LabSlip as your type, pick a name (like the name of the lab), and leave the other settings at the defaults.

4. Import your scan. Click the StaticImage button to bring in your scan as the background of the sheet. Because the sheet size is 850x1100 and the scan size is 750x1000 we have 100px of play all the way around. Put x position at 50 and y position at 50 to center the image on the sheet. The image dimensions should auto fill, but make sure it's 750x1000.

5. Build your sheet. On the line for patient name put a StaticText with nameFL. Move it to where you want it. Adjust the box size to fit your scan. Put in any other static text such as birth date or today's date as required. Add box for labcase instructions. Add any check boxes as required. Save your work.

6. Create the lab in the system. Under (setup / laboratories) create your lab. As you create your lab, change the lab slip so that it shows the slip you just created and save.

7 Test your work. Open a test patient and go to their chart. Click on LabCase and create a new fake lab slip. Select the lab you created and then on the bottom select New Slip. Now you can fill out your slip in all of it's glory and then print it to see your fantastic work.

dentalba

Post by dentalba » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 am

This method works but we were never able to get crisp scans to build on.
Tried all kinds of flatbed scanners in various dpi.

May as well just bite the bullet and start from scratch with a blank lab slip for example.
Then you only need to scan any graphics such as the lab's symbol if any or the pontic shapes or the upper and lower teeth and place them on your sheet.

Duplicating the text is easy. This all takes some time but once your done it is good forever or until you change labs.

We switched to this method exclusively especially for referral forms. Makes a much nicer result.
Hope this helps.

drtmz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

300 dpi should indeed give you a nice crisp image to work with. It helps to have photo software to do minor cropping, touchup, etc. Corel PhotoPaint works nicely, but does take some time to learn how to use.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com