How to set up second provider?

For users or potential users.
jourdo

How to set up second provider?

Post by jourdo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 am

I know how to enter the provider into Open Dental, so that is not the problem. Here is what I want to do, and I am unsure of how to set it up properly:

I am looking at having a dentist come into my office to do wisdom tooth extractions. He will be charging a different set of fees as what I would. I've set up a separate fee schedule for this to accomplish this.

Can I set him up as a "referral" to send my patients to in order to get the fees to change? Will they automatically change when the procedure gets completed with the other provider?

What is the best (and easiest) way to deal with this situation?

Thanks!

bpcomp

Re: How to set up second provider?

Post by bpcomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:16 pm

The best way to handle this situation that I'm aware of it to open (Lists / Providers) in Open Dental and add the visiting Doctor as a new provider. You then set the fee schedule that you've already created as his default fee schedule. Then for those procedures with Extraction you can change the provider for those services.

I'm not sure how you have your practice setup to submit to insurance so you may need to separate the codes into two appointments. One appointment has your services with yourself as the provider and the other appointment has his services and himself as the provider. You would then generate two claims to be submitted.

If in doubt, give support a call.

jourdo

Post by jourdo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:00 pm

I've done that, then ran a test "extraction" on myself. I was the initial provider but I switched the procedure to him as the provider and hoped that the fee would automatically update when I completed the procedure. It did not. I think I will just have to watch the fees when treatment planning/preauthorizing. I was hoping it would be an easy thing to set up to avoid the manual entering.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:03 am

I've stumbled across a setting that might make a difference. In (Setup / Practice) there is a setting to change default billing to treating provider. You might have this already set correctly but you could try playing with it and seeing if it does what you want.