Progress Notes for multiple Providers

For users or potential users.
MKM

Progress Notes for multiple Providers

Post by MKM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I understand that Open Dental does not allow group progress notes for multiple providers.
How are you all handling progress notes for a hygiene visit? When we hand write progress notes for a recall visit, the hygienist always wrote up the findings of the exam by the dr, the perio charting by the hygieneist and also what was done in the prophy.

Are you writing up two seperate sets of notes for the same visit? If my doc has to write up notes on a hygiene exam he won;t be happy. Or are you just putting all the notes under the prophy?

How are you handling this??
Mary Kay
Practice Administrator
Medina, Ohio

Hersheydmd

Re: Progress Notes for multiple Providers

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Hygiene visit with xrays & doc exam:
The following procedures are entered:
D0120 - periodic exam
D0431 - oral cancer exam
D0210 or D0274 or D0277 or D0220 + x# of D0230's depending on what x-rays were taken.
D1110 - prophy

The hygienist enters her notes in the prophy note using an auto note that gives her a bunch of choices to create the note fairly quickly.
The doctors findings are entered in the exam notes. Usually the default note is sufficient. Any unsual finding are added to the default.

The hygienist signs her procedures. The doctor signs his procedures.

Our behavior definitely changed switching from paper to electronic notes. We never used to sign our notes. We always knew who wrote what by their handwriting. Our e-notes are much more thorough & comprehensive and professional.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

MKM

Post by MKM » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:18 am

thank you for the reply. It is helpful to find out what has worked for others.
I saw your post on dental town with your auto notes for a hygiene visit. That was very helpful..I plan on copying exactly what you had there and tweaking it for my hygienists.
Mary Kay
Practice Administrator
Medina, Ohio

atd

Post by atd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 am

We do one note. The hygienist does most of it, the dentist adds to it and they both sign off on it (put their initials at the bottom of the note). The audit trail tracks what user typed what.