problem with OD scanning of attachments for NEA

For users or potential users.
Pruce Dental

problem with OD scanning of attachments for NEA

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I mentioned this several months ago but don't think anything happened with it. When I use the NEA screenshot tool to capture an image I scanned into OD (EOB, preauthorization, etc.) the print is too small to be able to read on the NEA site. I have had several insurance companies either call saying to fax over a legible copy of an EOB or worse have the insurance company process the claim without the NEA number and just report that it didn't work. If I try to zoom in on the scanned OD image before uploading to NEA only 1/2 to 3/4 of the EOB will show.

Any suggestions?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

drtech

Re: problem with OD scanning of attachments for NEA

Post by drtech » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 pm

screen capture is never a very good method of quality image transfer...much better to send an actual copy of your PDF scan....but I havn't used NEA in a long time...can you do that?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't think you can use PDF's....This is only for EOB's and preauthorizations with the problem....
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 am

Have you tried the second method of uploading attachments to NEA described on this page? http://opendental.com/manual/eclaimsattachments.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Jason...

I will try to send them using the OD link you gave next time I upload one and see if it looks any better...

thanks!
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Jason...

I started following the instructions...made sure I had a temp folder etc. Then hit import but found out that EOBs scanned to checks do not show in the list for importing using that second method.....
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 am

Robert,
Have you tried to enlarge the EOB prior to using the capture tool for NEA? What I mean is get into the screen that shows the EOB attached to an Insurance payment and use the magnify or enlarge button at the bottom of the image. If you enlarge this image before you capture would that solve this issue? Sorry this is only a W.A.G. at this point. :wink:

Jim

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Jim...

If I enlarge the image it cuts half of the EOB off so to see the payout numbers you usually lose the dates of service and patient name on the EOB screenshot...so currently I am taking a full screenshot of the EOB then magnifying it in 2 additional screen shots which is a big waste of time and resources especially when we get a call from United concordia each time asking us to fax over the EOB anyways which delays payment each time too....
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 pm

bumped for Jason or Jordan .....
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

grahamde

Post by grahamde » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am

With regard to NEA attachment method #1:
I've never seen the NEA screen shot tool, but I would imagine that it probably takes a screen shot of the entire screen, no matter what is showing. If that is the case, you could try a lower screen resolution, which will decrease the size of the overall image and will increase the size of printed fonts (in terms of pixels). Remember, OD requires a minimum size of 1024X768, so don't bother going any lower than that.

With regard to NEA attachment method #2, I have a workaround for you in two varieties:
1) Get the EOB into the Images module.
a) Either scan directly from the Images module; or
b) After you have scanned your EOB in the Insurance Payment (EOB) window, go into the Images module and click the Import button. Browse to the OpenDentImages\EOBs\ folder and locate the scanned EOB. This option might save you time if you have a slow scanner and always want the EOB to be inside of the Insurance Payment (EOB) window as well.
2) Inside of the Claim Edit window you will now be able to see the EOB after clicking the Add button, because only documents that are inside of the Images module will show in the list.
I will bring this issue to Jordan's attention to see if we can enhance the software to show documents from the Images module as well as EOBs from the Insurance Payment (EOB) window after clicking the Add button within the Edit Claim window.
Derek
Open Dental Software

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

The screen shot tool in NEA does not necessary capture the complete screen. It is a little box that you drag to size it over what you want to copy...kinda like the crop tool in the OD images module...

Again if you select the complete EOB the print is way too small to read on the NEA site...If you zoom in on an EOB in OD you cannot see the complete claim...

I know that I can use the copy and paste tools in the scanning module (assuming it is not a multi-page scan) and then place it in the images module then place it in the temp images folder etc. instead of using the NEA tool then clear the temp folder each time..then go back and delete the second copy of the EOB from the images module but that will take forever to multiple claims to NEA each day...

Is it possible to have OD give an option to open a scanned EOB in a different window taking up the complete screen for NEA purposes?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 pm

> Is it possible to have OD give an option to open a scanned EOB in a different window taking up the complete screen for NEA purposes?
I don't understand. Isn't it very close to filling the screen entirely, anyway? Are you really saying you need to have it about 60 pixels bigger?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes..I think that would help

If I can find some time Friday afternoon I will call into support and show you what I see when I use the NEA screen capture tool with scanned EOB's and what it looks like on the NEA website for insurance companies to see (or not be able to see)....
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok..so today I viewed a claim on a different computer rather than the only one we were using with NEA and was able to zoom on the claim and have ALL of the EOB show on the screen. I realized that the one computer we were using with NEA was an older Windows XP computer from like 2004 with a small monitor. On that computer the image displays differently (only half shows on screen when zooming) versus the newer workstations with 23 inch monitors. Why does one workstation zoom differently than the others in OD?

Anyways we will install the NEA software on a different workstation and the problem will be solved. Guess I know now why nobody else was complaining about the same problem...guess I am the only one with some really old workstations :oops:
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com