voice recognition

For users or potential users.
acarroll

voice recognition

Post by acarroll » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:36 am

I dicate notes for comp exams, limited exams, etc. and rely on my staff to write down everything I say and then input it into the patient's chart. I would like to be able to have my dictations be directly inputed into the notes. How can I do this? Will Dragon software work? What is the best option?

bcpayne

Re: voice recognition

Post by bcpayne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Dragon Medical is probably what you would need to get best accuracy and vocabulary. it is about $1500 per user though, I am not sure if it can be used on multiple computers for the single price. It really does work amazingly well for voice recognition dictations. You can set up a phrase to make it stop and start transcribing, however it may be difficult to use in the exam room, unless you only say what you want transcribed and no one else talks in the room.

I am considering using it as well, but for dictating my notes after I leave the room or later in the day. What I don't know is if dragon will input into OD text boxes. I know it works with MS word but that would be a lot of copy and pasting to finish my charts.

I know there has been some stuff for voice recognition for perio charting, but if not already compatible, dragon integration would be great.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:36 am

I have not tested with Open Dental but I have setup Dragon Diction Medical for a Doctor who used it to transcribe his notes into a different medical software. For all intents and purposes, Dragon should act like a keyboard and be able to input text into any text field. Your mileage may vary, but I would be mighty surprised if it didn't work in OD without a hitch.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 am

If you want to save money and already have Windows 7, the speech recognition software built into it is relatively good once you get use to the "key words". Their tutorials are very well done. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ecognition
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

hygiene10

Post by hygiene10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 am

Our office has Windows XP and we purchased Dragon naturally speaking 12.0, mainly to use with perio charting. We can't get dragon to recognize "bleeding" or advance to a specific tooth. The tech support at Dragon said that they aren't compatible with Open Dental (not even the medical version), and Open Dental can't tell me what the problem is. I saw a post on this message board from a few years ago using Dragon version 9 that said you have to "train" dragon to recognize recession, plaque, etc. Does anyone know how I can "train" it? Any help would be appreciated!

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

At the bottom of our perio page in the manual, http://opendental.com/manual/perio.html it talks about Dragon and using spell mode. This way you can say "B" for bleeding, "C" for calculus etc. I'm not familiar with being able to jump to a specific tooth other than using the mouse.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

deedplot

Post by deedplot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Is there a detailed set of instructions on using voice recognition? ie the exact words it will recoginize and how to turn it on and off within the program.

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I just got Dragon Medical (version 11 - Medical Practice Edition) and it has been working great with open dental.

I never read anything anywhere that made me confident that it would work with open dental, so I bought it with my fingers crossed. Of course the voice recognition is amazing and I think it's going to really cut down on the amount of time I spend writing notes. I only have it installed on 1 computer where I do my notes at the end of the day, but on thinking about getting it on a laptop and dictating my notes whenever I am in the room with the patient. It enters the text directly into the OD text boxes, without needing any other windows open.

FYI I didn't pay full price($1700) there's some good deals on ebay($650).