Scan X-Ray directly to OD?

For users or potential users.
rdpetti

Scan X-Ray directly to OD?

Post by rdpetti » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the open dental community and am working on implementing Open Dental in our dental clinic. I am one of the IT staff in the company and had a question regarding using a ScanX imaging system directly with Open Dental. We have a ScanX classic and the license for Dentrix expired a while ago so we do not currently have commercial software to use. I was wondering if anyone has had success installing the drivers for an imaging system (it doesn't have to be ScanX in particular) , and using Open Dental as the imaging software manager. It looks like the functionality is in OD but I am still waiting for the dental staff to let me test with their ScanX to confirm it will work. Also, I am not familiar if the other commercial imaging software's (Dentrix, Visix, etc) collect more data from the images than if I used OD. Thanks and sorry if some of these are newbie questions!

Jorgebon

Re: Scan X-Ray directly to OD?

Post by Jorgebon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:10 pm

I have Scan X and Visix. Visix is a limited version of TigerView. I like it because it's extremely easy to use so all my staff can use it and it produces incredibly detailed images with ScanX. We scan the images into Visix and then either copy-paste them into Open Dental (single images) or Export-Import into Open Dental (mounted images). We use the TigerView bridge to pass patient info between both programs. There's a feature request in Open Dental (#2152) to pull images into Open Dental without having to copy-paste. Please vote for it if you use TigerView or Visix software.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

rdpetti

Post by rdpetti » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to get in contact with Visix to try out the software. It does look very simple to use and has a nice interface. I will make sure to vote for that feature request.

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 pm

The only problem with Visix is that it's limited to Air Techniques products. If you want to buy a sensor of another brand, it won't work. The complete version is TigerView. It will run lots of different products, but it is a bit more complicated to use.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 am

Possible answer to your question:

Apteryx ScanX Twain Driver (Instructions > http://www.apteryx.com/uploads/scanx-tw ... rguide.pdf)

You should be able to use the Imaging module and choose the Apteryx twain driver as a scanner.

If you do use it, please keep me posted

Sharing is caring!
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC