New computer setup with open dental

For users or potential users.
dentalba

New computer setup with open dental

Post by dentalba » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:52 am

First time post here. I have been reading this and dentaltown forums for several months and I have decided to go with open dental for my PMS. A little background, I am purchasing an office with older equipment and no computer system in place. I am coming from a practice with eaglesoft and dexis and have liked it. I would like to implement computers and digital xrays ASAP in the new office. I have several quotes on wiring and installing computers and the network that have run around $35000. That doesn't included sensors or support. I am just having a hard time seeing the ROI on that. I have good computer skills and have built several computers and networked my house several times. I was wondering what opinion this forum had about setting it up myself? From what I read many on this forum do their own IT. The people giving me the quotes have been trying to get me to use a traditional server with server 2008, but from what I read I am not sure that I even need that. I will have 5 ops, front desk and dr. office for now. Should I just run Win 7 on a standard machine for now and upgrade in the future in needed?

As for xray sensors, what do you use? Again, I have had quotes for sensors in the mid 30's also. I have looked at XDR but although they say the image quality is equal to the competition I am just nervous. Any suggestions or advice?

I would like to say money is not important but obviously it is, that is why I am posting. I would be willing to spend more if it is the "right way" or "best option". I just dont want to spend more for the sake of spending more.

Again, thanks for the advice and help. I am in the final legs of this now am hoping to make some decisions ASAP.

Dwayne

Re: New computer setup with open dental

Post by Dwayne » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:26 am

We have many customers similar in size to what you are proposing that simply use a workgroup. Open Dental works just as well with that setup. If you can create the workgroup, we will remote connect and install Open Dental and required supporting software as part of your support plan (no extra charge).

As far as sensors, XDR is a very popular option with our customers. However, I will defer any recommendations to other members of the forum.

Thank you for your interest in Open Dental! Please fee free to call/chat/post if you have further questions.
Dwayne
Open Dental Software
503 363 5432
service@opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Don't pay that kind of $ at all! I set up all my computers in my office (around 20) for around $5000-$8000 over the last few years. I always buy reconditioned or great deal used computers and they work great and will save you lots of $. Don't spend more than $400-$500 for your computers. Then get a good, large monitor to go with it.

i.e. these are new and I have a couple of these same systems for your ops...they work great for open dental and are even dual screen ready, gigabit Ethernet, 4gb ram, 1tb HD, they only thing they are lacking is usb 3.0...but for your ops, shouldn't need that:
$329 brand new! http://www.officemax.com/technology/com ... rod3810164#
$188 -24" monitor http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2450W ... pd_cp_pc_0

For your server, just get a solid more expensive windows 7 system and a fast processor and disk. If you want a great server and have some computer experience, set us a linux server, but if you are 10 or fewer computers the peer to peer windows 7 system works great. I don't see any need to setup windows server for your kind of setup. Just use CrashPlan to back up your server onto at least two of your other office comptuers (those 1TB HDs will come in handy) and also do it offsite with CrashPlan or something similar.

XDR is great, you can get setup with them for about $5000 for each sensor. We started using them 3 years ago and love it. Great price and the images are very nice. We have 8 ops, 2 doctors and 2 hygienists. We bought 2 size 2 sensors and 1 size 1. that is plenty, if you have less, 1 of each is fine. Don't pay that hefty price tag for Dexis or Shick or Kodak...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 pm

My 2 cents...I had been with Eaglesoft for 10 years, just switched to open dental one month ago. Open dental is so much more capable, and stable, there's no comparison. I have 5 ops, 10 computers total, and see no need for anything other than a peer to peer network.

As for sensors, I felt that both Schick and EVA had relatively poor resolution. I have Sigma dental sensors that I've been happy with, but the sensor has recently changed, and I don't know if it is as good anymore.

Sam Barr

dentalba

Post by dentalba » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:03 am

Thanks for the reply. What imaging software does everybody use? I know XDR comes with XDR software and I have also read about aptryx (xray vision). Some posts that I have read suggested no using the opendental imaging module but to use a separate one and bridge them. What are your thoughts?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 pm

xdr software works fine. I know lots of people use Aptryx, but if you get XDR sensors, no reason really to use something else.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com