win SBS 2011 vs Win 7 Pro

For users or potential users.
WPK

win SBS 2011 vs Win 7 Pro

Post by WPK » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I am opening a practice in 2013, utilizing Open Dental, and will probably have about 5 PCs to start. I am wondering if starting off with Windows SBS 2011 essentials on central server with clients running Win 7 pro in a Domain is the right way to go, or just running all Win 7 Pro in a Workgroup makes more sense. I am relatively savvy computer guy but have limited experience setting up networks. The following are some priorities for me, pretty much in order of priority:

1. reliability and security
2. flexibility to add workstations in future
3. Easy of setup and maintenance
4. Remote access
5. Budget.....but this is not highest priority. Willing to spend extra $$ for the best long term solution.

If you were starting a new practice, would you go with MS SBS 2011?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

teethdood

Re: win SBS 2011 vs Win 7 Pro

Post by teethdood » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I suggest you look into virtual servers. A simple search in these forums will yield many suggestions by offices that have successfully integrated these solutions. If I were in your shoes, I would just stick with all-win 7 computers. Dentistry is your bread and butter. Don't waste your time doing IT ( as you certainly will with server OSes). Don't make the next doctor to buy into your office learn your IT methods. Save your money. Just my opinion.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't like SBS because it's an intentionally crippled version of Windows Server for a very small cost savings. I would suggest using Win 7 Pro on all machines. When Windows Server 2012 comes out, consider using it (the full standard version) if you will grow beyond 10 workstations.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

WPK

Post by WPK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:45 am

teethdood wrote:I suggest you look into virtual servers. A simple search in these forums will yield many suggestions by offices that have successfully integrated these solutions. If I were in your shoes, I would just stick with all-win 7 computers. Dentistry is your bread and butter. Don't waste your time doing IT ( as you certainly will with server OSes). Don't make the next doctor to buy into your office learn your IT methods. Save your money. Just my opinion.
teethdood
Thanks for this recommendation. After reviewing some other discussions in this forum and resources online, this seems like the way to go. Redundancy with minimum investment in an environment I understand.