Security question - procedure note

For users or potential users.
atd

Security question - procedure note

Post by atd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 am

Just upgraded to version 12.3 and see a new security setting for "procedure note". I thought this would allow editing of the procedure note beyond the date limitation on the "procedure edit" security permission. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Can someone explain what the "procedure note" permission is for?

Thanks

Dwayne

Re: Security question - procedure note

Post by Dwayne » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

A procedure and a procedure note are two distinctly different things. Procedure edit would allow a user to add and/or edit a procedure. The procedure note security refers to the ability to edit a note INSIDE a procedure, which is typically reserved for the dentist or hygienist's comments about the procedure that was performed.
Dwayne
Open Dental Software
503 363 5432
service@opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Yes, I understand that they are separate things. I guess I didn't word my question very well. I'm asking why the new 'procedure note' security permission subject to the date limitation on the 'procedure edit' permission? If they are separate permissions, I would expect 'procedure note' to have it's own date setting, or else not be subject to the date limitation since there is an audit trail on all note changes.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 am

When the procedure edit window loads, the "Notes" text box and the "Auto Note" button will be disabled if the user doesn't have the ProcedureNote permission. There is no date limitation on this permission.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 am

I'm not having an issue with users who don't have Procedure Note access, I'm having the opposite problem...
- User has Procedure Note access
- User has Procedure Edit access, limited to 7 days.
- User is trying to ammend a procedure note only but cannot because the OK button is grayed out. Also gets the "date limitation" message when opening the procedure.

I'm trying to determine if this is how it was designed, or if this is a bug in this new security permission.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 am

You're running into the 7 day limitation on the Procedure Edit access. Increase that date limitation and the OK button will become enabled.
Note that this security check uses the "Date Entry (for security)" date which is located in the top left of the proc edit window. That will give you an idea of how much the permission date needs to be increased by in order to amend the note.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 am

The procedure note permission is sort of considered to be a subset of the procedure edit permission. As such, it wasn't designed to have looser permissions than its "parent".
Jordan Sparks, DMD