Is there a query for bad debt ?

For users or potential users.
mzrdmd

Is there a query for bad debt ?

Post by mzrdmd » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Is there a query that will show me who I have written off bad debt for, how much, and when ?

I've had it with people stiffing me and getting away with it, and I'm ready to take them to the magistrate.

Thanks,

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Is there a query for bad debt ?

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:20 am

Depends on how you "wrote it off". The usual way of doing it is to leave their full balance in place until you are ready to send them to collections. At that point, you enter an adjustment to bring their account down to zero. At the same time, you change their billing type to "sent to collections" and change them to inactive. They then owe the collections agency that money, not you. As checks trickle in from the collections agency, you put those payments onto their account along with another adjustment to keep their balance at zero.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

mzrdmd

Post by mzrdmd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:49 am

Thanks, Jordan. I just created an adjustment called "Bad debt". Is there a way to generate a report on that ?

Thanks,

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 am

You can run that under reports, daily, adjustments, just select that type of adjustment and the dates and you are all set.

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm

You understand that the report is from the time you first created the adjustment.
If you want to include previous months you must go back and manually recode the old accounts as 'Bad Debt'.
Might not be a bad idea because then you will have an accurate report as to the total dollar amount.

drtmz