Text Messages via CallFire

For users or potential users.
BFD676

Text Messages via CallFire

Post by BFD676 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:48 pm

So I saw today that under the new features for version 12.3, there is the long awaited addition of text messaging for appointment confirmation. I know it may be a little early to start asking for all the details, but we are trying to decide between 2 services to do automatic confirmations, and so I'm curious as to how this new option will work with Open Dental.

So my questions are:
-Is it just text messages, or does it use CallFire's phone call features as well?
-Can a patient text back to confirm an appointment?
-Can OD see feedback and change the appointment status automatically?
-Do we have to give it the list to text everyday, or will it choose automatically?
-What level of customization options do we have?
-Are you planning to add more features over time?

I know I'm jumping the gun on a freshly announced feature 2 updates away, but any information any one has so far would be very helpful.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Text Messages via CallFire

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:33 pm

We're probably less than a week out now, so it's not too soon. Some of the questions you asked seemed so irrelevant until we actually had the text message part working. We're thrilled to have gotten it working, so now we can start building on that.
1. Just text messages for now.
2. The confirmations seems to come back to an inbox on their website. We don't have any automation to pick those up and import them, but I think you could do it manually.
3. No.
4. It's part of the confirmation list window. So sort of automatic, but there is human interaction.
5. A default message, some fields in that message like name and appt date/time, and the ability to edit the default when sending.
6. Of course.
Many users put up with a few bugs in the beta version in order to try out new features like this.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:23 am

bfd676 which services are you considering?

irfan

Post by irfan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:32 am

Full automation would be great. For now we use Lighthouse, and they do a great job and its fully automated for confirmations via email and text, but im pretty sure they will start charging more in the future.

BFD676

Post by BFD676 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 am

At this point we are considering either Lighthouse 360 or Smile Reminder.

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:47 am

we picked lighthouse because confirmations from that automatically get confirmed in open dental. not sure how smile reminders does it. If you use lighthouse, id recommend creating a new color for lighthouse confirmations, so you can easily distinguish patients that autoconfirmed vs lighthouse. We have "Confirmed" as light green, and "LHConfirmed" light blue.

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:07 am

I will put another vote in for Lighthouse 360....signed up last month.... thought patient's would hate the last minute text reminders etc and was a little suprised by how many people tell me they love the reminders..not one complaint to date...it has been a great positive addition to our office..I made my appointment color dark green for Lighthouse confirmed appointments since green means good to go....almost all of the appointments in OD are dark green....any questions about LH just ask...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am

Does LH360 process any responses from patients, or is it just a one-way outbound notification?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

gthiele

Post by gthiele » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

2-way text messages per website: http://www.lpmg360.com/competitors
Gary L Thiele, DDS
http://symphonyofsmiles.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 am

Jordan...

When someone is sent their text to confirm they are given the message "press 1 to confirm"...if they press 1 then it automatically updates to the database...if a patient types something different than just a "1" like a message "yeah I will be there" then it is forwarded to your email and since LH servers cannot read and decipher a message the office will have to manually change the confirmation status in the OD database. ..

Does that answer the question you were asking?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes, it does. That's very nice.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

vjc

Post by vjc » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Congratulations to Jordan and his team for incorporating a much awaited feature. It has been on the wish list of many users for such a long time.
However, it's use is currently limited to US only as CallFire does not cater to any other country. To make text messaging feature truly international, I think now it would not be difficult for Jordan and his team to make a small bridge between OD and Microsoft SMS sender.
Since OD now does send information to CallFire, it should be able to send similar information to Microsoft SMS sender the same way. If it could be incorporated in addition to CallFire, (user could pick which path for text messages, CallFire or MS SMS Sender)every OD user in the world would be able to use this feature.
I have used the MS SMS sender for a long time and if someone needs, I can post a video on youtube as to how to use this prog which is free and very light (only 611kb) using any gsm phone.
Thanks Jordan once again for getting started on this much awaited feature.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 am

This web page
http://www.oreillynet.com/wireless/2003/10/10/sms.html
at the bottom, explains how we might use the simple command line options to send text messages through SMS Sender. Unfortunately, that web page also says it doesn't work.

This page
http://www.kanmandet.dk/?p=593
describes how to overcome that bug, but then goes on to say that the tool does not let you send multiple messages in a row.

Looks like a different tool might be the answer.

Based on the screenshots, it looks like someone posted the sourcecode:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/204 ... -GSM-Modem
Looks like it was written in C#, so that's very nice.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

vjc

Post by vjc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm

This page
http://www.kanmandet.dk/?p=593
describes how to overcome that bug, but then goes on to say that the tool does not let you send multiple messages in a row.
The webpage says that you can not send multiple messages in a row. The reason for this is that after every messsage you send thru SMS Sender, a window pops up saying that "Message was sent successfully" or "The message could not be sent due to ....whatever the reason".

You can not send another message until this popup window is closed. If you close this popup window, you CAN send mutiple messages in a row.

This popup window CAN be programmed to be closed automatically thru code so that it does not require human intervention. The code to kill this popup window is described on the page:
http://veskokolev.blogspot.in/2009/07/h ... using.html

So theoretically, I feel, if successive messages have a delay of a few seconds, and there is code to kill the popup window in between as described after each message is sent, it might be possible to work it out to send multiple messages in a row. Or maybe, when sending out code to sms sender, if it can be programmed this way: command line for first text message: followed by popup kill code: followed by command line for 2nd text message: popup kill code: command line for 3rd message and so on.

I am no authority on this but just a thought I wanted to share.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am

Another vote for Lighthouse. It's great. If you need any questions answered just ask.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 am

@Jordan: Callfire has two services: Regular and something called Tesla. I am not sure which one you are using. The regular service uses Callfire's shortcode, 67076 to send SMS but getting SMS from shortcodes is sometimes blocked by wireless service providers because it is the equivalent of spam email. For this reason it is better to use the Callfire's Tesla service http://tesla.callfire.com because it sends an SMS from a long code (i.e. phone number). A dentist can purchase (or even port) a phone number and make it his own. The API for Tesla is very similar to that of regular Callfire. If you call them they will provide you with the documentation. Ask for Jacob.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Thank you very much. Email sent to CallFire, and we'll see what happens.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:43 pm

OK, so here's how CallFire works with OD. Not so well in my opinion.

Setting up CallFire wasn't too difficult.
I set up an account and plopped $20 into it (I was optimistic, I should have done the minimum $10)
To get an API key, you have to enter your business name followed by "EXEMPT"
Copy that key and enter it in OD Program Links for CallFire (couldn't be easier).
Sending a text from the Toolbar button is easy. By default (??) texting is allowed to anyone who has a mobile number.
Texting from the confirmation window is not so easy. By default texting is not allowed from the confirmation window. To allow it you must manually edit each patient’s information and set Text Ok to Yes.
The next problem with using CallFire is that replies do not come back in an easy to access method.
To view replies, you have to log into your CallFire account, go to INBOX, click on SMS REPLIES, then click on DOWNLOAD CALL DETAIL RECORDS.
The worst part is that the replies are listed only by phone number. Unless you have all your patients numbers memorized, you don't know who the replies belong to and you have to start looking up phone numbers.
And you have to pay for this privilege

Contrast this with the way I was texting from OD before which was free and much easier.

As discussed in previous posts, I obtain the name of each pt's carrier in their registration info.
Their email address is followed by a comma, the 10-digit mobile #@the carrier's gateway.
With one click confirmations are sent to both the email address and the mobile phone (SMS) through my gmail account.
When the pt replies to the text by text, it is delivered to my gmail, which is easy to access (and we even get a little pop-op at the bottom right of the screen when it is coming in. It is easy to tell who the text is from, because most of my pt's are in my gmail contacts list, and if not I have the outgoing message in the Sent folder just a click away.

The best solution, would have been to create a second email field (email-to-SMS) that could hold the mobile number and gateway and use that for SMS texting through the email account. In the confirmation window the EMAIL button would call up the usual email address and the TEXT button would call up the mobile#@carrier-gateway.
Of course if you want two-way automation you have to go with a third-party add on, such as Lightyear, but if all you need is a simple way to send texts, this should do just fine.
It seems so simple a solution. Am I missing something?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

sbgcd

Post by sbgcd » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am

Is there any legal implication for dental offices without having consent from patients' to contact them via text messages? We are using DemandForce and according to them unless users' select to opt-in - they are not allowed to send automated text message to patients... Any one here has similar experience?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Hersheydmd wrote: By default texting is not allowed from the confirmation window.
That just sounds like a bug. It should be allowed by default.
Hersheydmd wrote: The next problem with using CallFire is that replies do not come back in an easy to access method.
We figured one-way would be good enough for the first shot. You could use a template that instructs them to call back at a certain number if they want to change their appointment.
Hersheydmd wrote: The best solution, would have been to create a second email field (email-to-SMS)... the TEXT button would call up the mobile#@carrier-gateway.
Yes, we can do that. The way I envisioned it was more complicated, and included a pick list for the carrier, an extra table in the db, etc. The way you describe it is far simpler and would be very fast for us to implement.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

jordansparks wrote:We figured one-way would be good enough for the first shot. You could use a template that instructs them to call back at a certain number if they want to change their appointment.
Jordan,
Really, one way is of very limited value. You have no way of knowing if the pt received the message or not. Then the pt doesn't show up and your receptionist says "but we sent you a text message" and the pt replies "I never got it". What good is it. If we don't get a reply by phone, email, or text we don't consider the appt confirmed and keep trying to reach the pt.
I'm glad you see the value and simplicity in my way of doing it. Being able to send an SMS by email is very helpful. Having a "TEXT" button that pointed to a second email field ("SMS-email" if you want to call it that) with a customized message in the email setup, would be grrrr-8-t.
It would give us the ability to send just an email to their email address or just an SMS text to their mobile phone, instead of sending every message to both.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I have used AppointMaster. http://www.appointmaster.com. It works with OD. All the things you said plus they can also customize a page with your logo so patients can request an appointment online at any time right from your web site. The online appointment can be customized according to provider's availability, procedure so on so forth. The have text messages, phone call and email confirmation. Check it out

Sharing is caring!
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

pgor

Post by pgor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 am

Is there and 'exclusivity' arrangement between Open Dental and CallFire for sending SMS messages from OD? If not, where can I input the access details for the SMS provider I wish to use? (CallFire not available in Europe, though their website says that international service coming shortly). I think that it is unwise to hitch our horses to one wagon!

Dwayne

Post by Dwayne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

Currently, CallFire is the service we are using. Adding another service would be a feature request. (Help > Request Features inside Open Dental). What is the name of another SMS provider that you would be interested in using in Europe?
Dwayne
Open Dental Software
503 363 5432
service@opendental.com

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Revisited Callfire and texting from OD. Not smooth. Has problems:
1) There is a text button in the Confirmation window but not in the Recall window. Some patients don't have or provide an email address. We should be able to send them a Recall text, just like a Recall email.
2) Send Confirmation Texts, and ask for replies to office VM or e-mail. By force of habit, many still just hit "Reply" on their phone. Their replies are not received. Logging in to the CallFire dashboard to find the replies is cumbersome and time consuming and defeats the value of sending texts directly from OD. All you see is a list of phone numbers that you then have to match up with patient names. Takes too long, too much work.
3) You can't have a two-way conversation via text, which has become the new, preferred method of communication for many.

It is simpler to send an SMS text via email (eg to: 1234567890@vtext.com) rather than using the OD-Callfire link. The advantages are
a) You get a copy of the text in the "Sent" folder of your email account.
b) When the receiver hits reply, the reply goes to the "Inbox" of your email account.
c) You can reply back to the patient right from your e-mail window.
d) It doesn't cost anything.
Hersheydmd wrote: The best solution, would have been to create a second email field (email-to-SMS)... the TEXT button would call up the mobile#@carrier-gateway.
JordanSparks wrote: Yes, we can do that. The way I envisioned it was more complicated, and included a pick list for the carrier, an extra table in the db, etc. The way you describe it is far simpler and would be very fast for us to implement.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Hersheydmd

Re: Text Messages via GVNotifier

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:32 pm

GVNOTIFIER
The following doesn't solve the confirmation and recall text problem but it's a nice solution for individual texting to a pt. You can have a two way conversation via text right from your desktop. And it is FREE!
Sign up for a Google Voice #. Download a small desktop app for Google Voice, called GVNotifier. Setup a Program Link to GVNotifier in OD.
When you want to send a text just hit the link button and it brings up GVNotifier. It doesn't go straight to the correct patient, but it only takes a couple of seconds to type the name in the search box.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:27 am

Came up with an even better and faster way to text patients from OD using Google Voice & Google Contacts in just two clicks.

Posted instructions on how to set it up here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4853
Last edited by Hersheydmd on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am

Are there any HIPAA concerns with this solution?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 pm

wjstarck wrote:Are there any HIPAA concerns with this solution?
Why would there be? All I have saved is the patient name, email address and phone numbers. No pt medical or dental hx is in the contact list.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am

Dunno.

But whenever I go to any medical office and check in, they whip out the in clipboard with the stickers, which are peeled off the second I fill them out. All those contain are my name.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 am

Don't know either. But I think we are too good at worrying about nothing.
I have a lot of contacts saved on my cell phone and in Google. Some are friends, some are relatives, some are business contacts, some are patients. No one would know who is what.
I suppose if we want to really cover our asses maybe we should put a paragraph on our Hipaa forms informing pts that we save their contact info in various ways and that we will be communicating with them by email and by SMS text, and give them the option to opt out.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234