Shutdown All Opendental

For users or potential users.
drfredc

Shutdown All Opendental

Post by drfredc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:52 pm

I know there's a shutdown workstations option in Opendental, that is called with in Opendental.

Is there a program or way to have Opendental shut all workstations down at some specified time, including the one on the computer making the call? Sort of like using Windows scheduler to run OD_Shutdown at 8 PM to shut down all Opendental workstations on the LAN, including the one on the computer making the call...

This is because scheduled backups in the middle of the night sometimes don't get properly done because someone left a workstation Opendental on and some file is locked... Then I get an email from the backup program that some file was locked and screwed up the backup... My backup program scheduler (I think it uses WIndows scheduler) does have the option to run a program before starting the backup -- this is presumably where and when a OD-Shutdown program would be run...

Fred

teethdood

Re: Shutdown All Opendental

Post by teethdood » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Check out wjstarck Bill Starck's TimeOut logout manager program. Logs out of OD at a specified time. I've never used it, but I think that's what you need.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am

Your backup software should have a setting to backup locked files. What backup software are you using?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drfredc

Post by drfredc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm currently using AceBackup. But have used others with similar issues. I guess I haven't looked at the locked file option. It may be there.

Also, the other reason for the request is for improved basic Hippa security. I'd like to have it possible so that any open OpenDental's at the clinic that are accidentally left running at the end of the day will get shut down by an hour or so after the clinic closes. Otherwise, the cleaning staff might come across an open Open Dental and start poking around, even if they aren't supposed to.

If there were a program that could be run (or OD with a SHUTDOWN parameter), or a scheduler in OD that could shut all workstations down by X time, that would seem to resolve this issue for most all reasons.

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Not sure if this Open Dental Feature will help you but under Setup | Security. There is a feature located on lower left side of screen that gives you the ability for Open Dental to automatically "log off" a user after so many minutes. I don't utilize the feature so I have mine set to zero. I am not sure if it logs a user off after so many minutes of "inactivity" or just a certain amount of time (active or not). This might help you with your HIPPA concerns by making Open Dental on workstations inactive after a certain amount of time.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:24 pm

It's minutes of inactivity. Just set it to 30 or 60, and that will take care of the night crew. Even better, do the same thing with Windows, and then OD will also log itself off when Windows logs off. You have to enable that setting in OD next to where you set the time limit.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drfredc

Post by drfredc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 am

Minutes of inactivity works sometimes, but maybe not others. I can try, but I have my doubts.

For example, we typically may have 2 restorative ops and 1 hyg room used most of the day, except for when there are some walkin emergency xrays and checks which are put into the 2nd Hyg room separated by 3 or 4 hours. The staff routinely starts every computer up at the beginning of the day so it's ready when needed. Which may make a workstation time out function sort of a bother (if not a pain) since someone may have to log on again, probably right at the time when things are getting busy with two or three staff trying to keep all the rooms busy without falling behind. The last thing they want to deal with is having to log back on to OD in the middle of a time crunch. Yeah, logging in doesn't take long, but it's one of those things that could come at just the wrong time and patience is running short...

It seems the seamless way would be to offer a 'smart timeout option' since the software should be able to determine when the last appointment of the day is, then let the user set the OD workstation time out be XX minutes after the last appointment.

Anyways, I'll give the inactivity option a try. Also, I'll check the lock file backup up setting -- I probably skimmed over it while poking around the advanced settings in the backup software.

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

What version of Windows are you using? Take advantage of VSS to make sure your backup all files. You can use Cobian Backups and enable VSS. In regards to the HIPAA issue, it looks like all your problems can be solve by adding a local policy to each computer and program it to go on screen saver and then password protect them. If you are running a Windows 2K8/2K3 domain, you can configure a GPO for your whole network instead of running to each computer one by one.

For whatever is worth here is a link to VSS> http://blog.appassure.com/blog/windows- ... er-backup/
A bit technical but is good ready :)

Sharing is caring
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

atd

Post by atd » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 am

jordansparks wrote:It's minutes of inactivity. Just set it to 30 or 60, and that will take care of the night crew. Even better, do the same thing with Windows, and then OD will also log itself off when Windows logs off. You have to enable that setting in OD next to where you set the time limit.
Are you talking about the screen saver that locks windows after X minutes? Or where/how are you setting windows to log off?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:44 pm

In Windows 7, the screensaver options are buried in the Personalization window. There's an option for "on resume, display logon screen". But does anyone use screensavers anymore? The option I think most people will use will be in the Power Options, require a password on wakeup.

Maybe use both strategies together.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 am

This is certainly a neat feature we could add to TimeOut!, which is our automatic logoff manager for OD. TimeOut! differs from OD's built in logoff manager in that it allows you to place PCs into different groups to give you finer granular control over the logout times. So, you can up the logout time for PCs where the popups would get annoying. Typically, exam rooms or areas that are less frequently monitored by staff have shorter logout intervals (3-5 minutes), whereas PCs in better monitored areas have longer logoff times. You can even put PCs into a group where the automatic logoff is turned off entirely (this is where I have the PC in my office set).

ImageImage

I suppose we would retain the same grouping concept. Logoff could be set for a certain time, but I like your idea of setting it for xx minutes after the last appointment better. Maybe both would be a better option.

You can download a trial version from our website to see how it works: http://www.bigideasoft.com
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA