Any experiences with Patterson Imaging

For users or potential users.
shvercer

Any experiences with Patterson Imaging

Post by shvercer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:57 am

I was wondering if anybody is using Open Dental with Patterson Imaging? Since Patterson Dental is our main supplier for all things dental, they recommended the AirTechniques ScanX phosphorplate system and are selling it to us with the Patterson Imaging included. I wanted to go with Apteryx XRayVision, but due to "overspending" I may have to cut down costs somewhere and this seems like something straightforward to do. Does anybody have experience or advice of pros and cons of going with one or the other?

bpcomp

Re: Any experiences with Patterson Imaging

Post by bpcomp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 pm

There is one issue with Patterson Imaging integration that we have. If you don't have a social security number for your patient then every change in name creates a new patient in Paterson imaging. Our practice is half children and we don't collect SS# on them so this happens quite a bit for us. Other than than the integration is fast and stable.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Thank you for pointing that out. We will add it to the manual. But do children really ever change their names? That sounds like an extremely rare event.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Ask Patterson for their price for the Scan-X without the Patterson imaging. If they say it is the same price tell them fine and you will place your order after checking with Schein and Benco for their pricing...the software is always sold separately and I don't believe Patterson gives anything away for free (without a hidden cost)...get Apteryx or XDR and don't get locked into Patterson imaging...(or Kodak etc.)...also did you demo the Scan-X in your office or are you taking Pattersons word that the Scan-x is the best?...Not sure how good your reps are but mine would push whatever system had the best commission for them...like I said in another post also demo the Digora Optime...it will only cost you an hour or so of your time...if you do go with the Scan-X and are planning on getting the larger unit for pan ask for a demo in YOUR office and they can drop a plate in YOUR panorex so you can see how good they look on your machine...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

gthiele

Post by gthiele » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

It's been a few years so I don't know if it still holds true, but Apteryx rebranded as Cliniview came free with my purchase of Optime. There is a setting in their bridge that either connects via SSN or BD. I've had mine changed so it only has to match name and BD, so have fewer popup screens asking for patient match or making a duplicate entry. There may be a similar setting in Patterson Image to eliminate the SSN match requirement, but you'd have to call support to find out. I'd also recommend an Optime demo.
Last edited by gthiele on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary L Thiele, DDS
http://symphonyofsmiles.com

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Name actually change more frequently then you would suspect at first, it's only when I have to manually change everything in Patterson Imaging that I noticed how much. Every spelling correction or adding a middle initial makes a new patient. Any time there is a change in family status that involves name changes you have the same issues i.e. adoption or parents divorcing. I wouldn't say it's an every day event but it does happen probably once a week where we have a new patient that we have to correct spelling or something.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Then we should stop sending the middle initial and preferred name. What version are you using? We could make that change immediately. The only concern I have is that the absence of a middle initial would trigger spawning new patients. You could try it, and if that happens, then we could put it back the way it was. If you are interested, just let us know what version you're on.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:37 pm

This has been going on in every version of Open Dental we have used that I know of. I think we started with 9.6 but I really became aware of the issue with the 11 series and we are now on 12 and I was just looking into the 12.1 upgrade for this weekend. Only passing the first name reduces the amount of issue possibly but it does not eliminate since any change to the first name produces the same effect.

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

My experience with Patterson Imaging hasn't been the smothest and the GUI sucks. Make sure that they don't charge you for any additional modules just in case you decide to add an intra-oral camera that is not Eaglesoft integrated. If you end up buying a camera elsewhere, you can potetially use a Twain driver, install it, and the camera will work throught the tawin interface. I know that Dexis charges to enable Twain. You can also buy Vixis software instead Eaglesoftw Imaging and use it with ScanX. They have a tight integration. Henry Schein sells ScaneX too and they sell it with Visix. Have you look at other options? You may want to look at Gendex DentOptix and Vixwin. Both, Visix and Viwin don't have any limitation as far integration. Visix is licensed per seat. Vixwin is a one time fee and unlimitted seats.

Sharing is Caring :)
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

OK, we're going to make the change to version 12.2. We're reluctant to make it to 12.1 for fear of causing problems in the stable version. Then, we'll wait to hear from users whether they like the change or not.
Jordan Sparks, DMD