Obsolete sheets

For users or potential users.
Tom Zaccaria

Obsolete sheets

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm

What is recommended for sheets that are no longer used?
We have several that we would like to delete because we designed new ones but can't because they are attached to patients.
Anyway to hide them?

Thanks
drtmz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Obsolete sheets

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 pm

You want to delete a "sheetdef", which is like a template for a "sheet". Sheets get attached to patients, but not sheetdefs. So I don't think it would actually prevent you from deleting.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 am

Message is, 'Can be deleted being used'
For example, we have redesigned our Medical History form among others to take advantage of the improvements in sheets definitions.
Want to get rid of the old one or hide it so it can't be selected in error. But can not.
We have resorted to putting the word Trash in front of the name in Properties, as in 'Trash NP Med Hx Pg1', to make it less obvious.
But if it could be hidden like procedure codes that are no longer used that would be ideal.

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 am

Sorry.
I wasn't too clear in the previous posts. You sometimes get so locked in to what you are doing that you lose site of the big picture.
What I am trying to do is delete an old 'Referral Form'.
We redesigned several and can't delete or hide the old ones because they are attached to patients.
I was confused because they are all defined from Setup/Sheets menu and in my mind they are all Sheets.

But for the Newbies, there are many different types of Sheets.

drtmz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 am

Are you sure the message really says, "Can be deleted being used"? I'm going to have to wait to get to work to answer this because I need to test the behavior. But I think that referral forms might be attached to one or two referrals, and you just unattach them. But I can't figure out what medical histories might be attached to.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:52 am

Here is what is going on.
I usually refer to everything as a sheet. But there a many types of sheets. What I really mean is a ReferralSlip.
Initially we designed a ReferralSlip for Aetna. This had a Static Image scanned in as a background and fields such as Last Name etc. added as an overlay from OD.
Quite cool and fancy for its time.
This was clunky and not very professional to sent from office to office but server our purpose at the time.
Fast forward to today and there are more fields and design options available so we decided to redesign the entire thing in OD using lines, check boxes and rectangles.
Looks great. 1000 times more professional. We are very proud of the result.
Here is the problem. When I go to delete the StaticImage ReferralSlip, the first one, I get a message

'SheetDef is already in use by referrals(s). Not allowed to delete.'

So we have resorted to naming that now unused ReferralSlip as Trash Aetna and delete the StaticImage so the staff won't get confused if they select it in error.

drtmz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Why can't you just detach it from the referrals that it's attached to? Then, you can delete it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 am

That's what I thought. But I was looking for an easier fix.
Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:22 pm

That sounds really easy to me. Or are you saying that you already manually attached a referral slip to dozens of referrals and that it would be too much work to detach them. We didn't really anticipate someone attaching a referral slip to more than one referral source.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 am

Yes, that is what we did exactly.
But the fix was to hide the ReferalSlip by clicking the hidden button in Setup/Sheets, double click on the ReferralSlip.
This way, it will not show in any DropDown lists which is was what I was after. Now it can't be selected in error.
It still shows in the Setup/Sheets list even thought it is hidden, which is correct behavior, but the majority of the staff will never go there.
This is where the confusion was.
Fixed. And I don't have to detach a lot of files.
Thanks.

drtmz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm afraid you've lost me again. There isn't any "hidden" field for sheets. There's also no hidden button in Setup/Sheets.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 pm

I lost myself in translation.

It should be List/Referrals check the hidden box at the top.
Once this is checked the specific referral will not show in the dropdown menus but is still
present in Setup/Sheets

drtmz