Questions on QuickBooks Bridge - Integration

For users or potential users.
glamorgan

Questions on QuickBooks Bridge - Integration

Post by glamorgan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Dear All

I have some inquiries on QB bridging with OD. I think it's it's a great start but I still needs everyone's advices.

1. Deposit Accounts: For deposit accounts (Accounts to deposits in http://www.opendental.com/manual/quickbooks.html): You can ONLY select a BANK/ASSET types of accounts, can you explain why? ( Note: if you select any other typle, you'll get an error when creating deposits)

2. Only total of deposits will appear: say: you have 10 cash payments, $10 each summing up to $100, would you want to see 10 transactions in quickbooks rather then just one transaction with the total? is this doable?

3. When setting up "accounts to deposit" list, patient details will not be logged - transfered to QB. For example, I have 10 transactions of cash payments, wouldn't be great if i see patient names included with the transaction when examining such transactins in QB?

4. When you delete a deposit in OD it doesn't get deleted from QB, why? shouldn't be?

5. in QB, you can simpley capture a payment (create a payment): wouldn't be so great if any payment done by a patient in OD, a pyament entry is created in QB with patient's details? and if that payment is deleted from OD, the same the same payment transaction is deleted from QB?

Can anyone create a video or write a tutorial/quick guide on how to setup the accounts and what's the best way of integrat OD and QB?

Would be great if someone attends the above inquiries with details...

Question 1, 4 and 5 are the most important ones.. please advise

thanks in advance

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Questions on QuickBooks Bridge - Integration

Post by jordansparks » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

1. I don't think that's a restriction on our part, but I can't imagine why you would want to make a deposit into any account that was not an asset.
2/3. I wouldn't want to see 10 transactions, would you?
4. The short answer is that we couldn't quickly figure out how. Comment added to manual.
5. Sounds complicated. Related to 2/3, I'm not sure why you would want this.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

glamorgan

Post by glamorgan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

so, the whole point of QB link is to "manually go to deposits" section in OD, manually create a deposit and it will automatically be sent to QB?

The user can simply, check the daily payment report, see what's the sum of cash payments for example and register it in QB, same effect, right?

The whole reason of using an accounting system is to see the break-down of your transactions. So, when i do the bridge and go to QB and can't get details of my deposits then I’m definitely missing out something.

When using the OD accounting option (within OD which is based on QB), payments will first be sent to selected accounts and then you create the deposits. However, when using the bridge, we're simply passing one entry to QB, a deposit with a memo note "Deposit"!

Is there another way of passing details to Q from OD with detailed transactions, kindly advise

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 am

No, the whole reason for using an accounting system is to keep track of how much money is in your checking account.

When using OD accounting, a single deposit gets sent, just like with the QB bridge. The only difference is that with OD accounting, it will synchronize a deleted deposit as well.

I'm not sure how to guage how many people are expecting individual payments to go across to QB. I guess, for a start, I'll read through all related forum posts and look at what percentage of forum users are asking for it. But, in the end, it's going to have to turn into another feature request in order for us to track how much demand there is for it. It seems a little daunting because of the fact that we'll need to keep them synchronized. We would need to perfect synchronized deposits first.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am

glamorgan wrote:1. Deposit Accounts: For deposit accounts (Accounts to deposits in http://www.opendental.com/manual/quickbooks.html): You can ONLY select a BANK/ASSET types of accounts, can you explain why? ( Note: if you select any other typle, you'll get an error when creating deposits)
Jordan is correct, that is QuickBooks limitation. If you try to manually create a deposit within QuickBooks, the accounts that show in the "Deposit To" drop down are the only accounts they will let you deposit to. Which seem to be, as you stated, bank/asset accounts. But those should be the only type of accounts you need to make deposits to.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software