I want to bill secondary insurance but not primary

For users or potential users.
mzrdmd

I want to bill secondary insurance but not primary

Post by mzrdmd » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I know, sounds stupid, but hear me out.

I have a few patients who are in the military reserves. As such, they have coverage through Tricare, which is their primary if they come and see me as a civilian.

Since they are reservists, they also have mandated dental care to make them deployable, and that is paid through a company called Logistics Health, Incorporated, who uses United Concordia to administer their claims. This is in the patient's chart as their secondary insurance, and is only used when they come for mandated treatment via the military reserve.

A patient came to see me as mandated by the reserves. I billed his secondary, which went to UCCI via Logistics Health. They will pay in full. However, the procedures performed that day are still showing up on my "Procedures not billed to insurance" report, since I never billed the primary. Is there a way to get it off of there ? Should I just create a claim, then mark it as zero payment, or what ? I can't mark them "Do not bill insurance" because I DO want to bill them to insurance, just not the primary.

While we're on the topic, for patients in general (not military as described above), is there a way to make OD automatically send the secondary claim once payment is received on the primary claim ?

Thanks,

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: I want to bill secondary insurance but not primary

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:28 am

I believe you can go into the procedure and delete the primary estimate at the bottom of the window. If not, then create a dummy primary claim. Also, the "Do not bill insurance" is per insurance. So in the procedure edit window at the bottom, I believe you could also double click on the primary estimate and mark it "do not bill insurance".
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

mzrdmd

Re: I want to bill secondary insurance but not primary

Post by mzrdmd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:54 am

Awesome ! Thank you !

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !