quickbooks question

For users or potential users.
Pruce Dental

quickbooks question

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Jordan...

I set up my Quickbooks and got the data to pass from OD to Quickbooks (with Luke and Jason's help) today.... but see one potential problem with utilizing the bridge. I have my Quickbooks set up under the "chart of accounts" with subaccounts for "cash and checks", "Visa and Mastercard" and "American Express' and "CareCredit' all as separate accounts so I can see what is what. In OD, I make a separate deposit each day for each of these categories (well most days the checks are all grouped as one deposit to take to the bank) so this way I can look at my bank statement and reconcile everything quickly in Quickbooks. I want to be able to look in QB and compare my credit card processor statement with my actual deposits. As the new bridge is designed you can only pass data to one general account in QB...i.e. in OD on the account setup page you can select multiple bank accounts to send the payment into (top portion in OD setup) but on the lower part on the setup OD screen called "income account" you can only send it to one...Can you add the option to send it to multiple "Income accounts" so we can track the breakdown by categories like check, Visa , CareCredit in QB?... Luke suggested that I could manually go back into QB and change the categories afterwards but that would defeat the whole purpose of using the bridge and as is it would just be easier to not use the OD/QB bridge....and I really don't want to have 5 separate deposit acccounts (top part in setup) and have to constantly add the 5 columns in my QB reports to figure out how much is in my 1 bank account. I set up my QB chart of accounts following the categories recommended by Susan Gunn after learning about her on DT so I bet there are many other users with their "chart of account" looking similiar to mine...

Hopefully my explanation is clear. ohh I am using 12.1.6
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: quickbooks question

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh, sure. It never occurred to me to do it that way. I always had one income account. We'll start on it right away.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:25 am

thanks jordan for all of your hard work. I excited about the qb integration

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 am

I am still on version 12.0.X. I am anticipating the update to beta 12.1.X soon. The integrated QuickBooks automated deposit feature is exciting. Our situation is similar to Robert's but not exact. Unlike Robert, we use the same income account for all deposits. However, we do make seperate deposits each day for different categories of transactions. For example, we get a total in our deposit of checks/cash and make that as a deposit. We then get a total of just CareCredit transactions and make a deposit entry for that into QuickBooks. Our AMEX transactions are seperated out into a seperate deposit. Finally, our MC/VISA/Discover transactions go into a seperate deposit.

Why?? Well, when the bank statement comes back to be reconciled, all these different transactions are split. The Care Credit deposit may come in a day later than the AMEX or MC/VISA/Discover and the checks/cash always show up on the bank statement a day or two before the credit cards deposits show up. It would be a nightmare to reconcile the bank statement without splitting these up. Robert's way of using different income accounts may be a cleaner way of doing it. We use the same account but simply enter seperate transactions for each.

Jordan, to get this integration between Open Dental and QuickBooks to work properly, do you think I need to create different income accounts like Robert has done for these different categories of deposits?

Thanks,
Jeff

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:08 am

No, I think you can continue to use one income account like you have been. That's how we assumed everyone was going to do it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks!!!
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:50 am

Quick question with the new QB feature.......does this only work if you have QB on your computer, or can it also work with the online version?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:30 am

Jason will answer that question on Monday morning.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

glamorgan

Post by glamorgan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi everyone

Got confused with the above threads, the discussion is too long :D

A simple question: do we have a way to integrate OD with QuickBooks? Is there a bridge available?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Jordan Sparks, DMD

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 am

Smilesbypayet wrote:Quick question with the new QB feature.......does this only work if you have QB on your computer, or can it also work with the online version?
Currently, Open Dental can only access a local copy of QuickBooks installed on your computer.
The good news about the QuickBooks bridge is that we wrote it with the QBFC connector. This means that if we decide to support the online version in the future, we get to use the exact same code we have already written. The things that will take the most time will be registering our application (Open Dental) with Intuit Gateways and meeting their many requirements (consisting mainly of sending information securely and never automating anything for users etc). This would have made development take much much longer, so it got put in the list of QuickBooks/Open Dental possibilities to come.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software