Open Dental vs. Exan PowerPractice

For users or potential users.
shvercer

Open Dental vs. Exan PowerPractice

Post by shvercer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Can anybody provide me with some useful pros and cons? It seems that Exan Mercedes PowerPractice uses the MySQL database as well and one of the dentists prefers it over OD, because at the university where she teaches they use the Exan AxiUm. I'd appreciate some input, since besides OD being Open Source I don't see much difference.

Jay

Re: Open Dental vs. Exan PowerPractice

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

I am tempted to reply, "That's easy. OD is the best!" But that would be my biased view and wouldn't help you. Instead lets compare. Its still biased but at least you'll get a few facts about OD.

Getting Started:
OD: Download the Trial Version and start trying it out. The cost for the full software plus full telephone support is $149 per month with no upfront cost. The initial contract is for six months and automatically continues after that on a month-to-month basis. Most users remain on the support plan so that they can continue to receive new versions and telephone support. The monthly cost goes down to $99 per month after the first year of use. If you don't want support and regular updates you can compile the source code yourself.
Power Practice Px: Contact us here at Exan and speak with one of our expert sales consultants and to see how Power Practice Px can revolutionize the way you operate your private dental practice. I could not find anywhere to download the source code or use it for free.

Features:
I am sure you have done the comparison yourself but in OD you can request features and they do get implemented depending on what the community wants.

Support:
OD: If you are paying $99 a month, just call.
Power Practice Px: Use a contact form and you will be contacted within one business day. I don't know how much their support costs and whether it is in addition to the software price or included.

Customization:
OD: Ultimately you have the source code so anything is possible. But short of that you could customize it in a million ways.
Power Practice Px: I don't know since I could not find detailed manuals or screenshots which you easily could for OD.

Forum
OD: Simply amazing. With people like Rick Liftig, drtech, HersheyDMD, enamelrod, teethdood, irfan and of course Jordan himself, this is the best 'feature' of all. Literally, anything you throw at these guys will find some kind of resolution.
Power Practice Px: I could not find a forum. Please post a link if you could find one and then we could compare better.

I could go on and on but these are the big things for me.

Note 1: From what I can tell Axium uses Oracle which is great but I couldn't determine what Power Practice Px uses.
Note 2: Ultimately I am sure Power Practice Px is a fine product but the question to ask yourself is: Who would respond to your question if you posed it to Power Practice Px users? In fact, since I could not find a forum, where would you post your question?

To conclude here is a biased, cheesy statement from a delighted OD user with no ax to grind: OD's not a software, its a way of life.

enamelrod

Re: Open Dental vs. Exan PowerPractice

Post by enamelrod » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 am

shvercer

go on dentaltown and see if you can find anyone using exan power practice. I didn't see anyone on dentaltown. the code structure may be similar but if no one else is driving it it probably doesn't work very well or is very expensive.

just my 2cents from a
past es, dentrix, tce,and practiceworks user