Multi-page scanners

For users or potential users.
Pruce Dental

Multi-page scanners

Post by Pruce Dental » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am

I am looking at the Epson Workforce s50 scanner and have a few questions.

I like it because of both the PDF and Twain divers versus the Fujitsu ScanSnap.

(1) Does it work with windows 7 64 bit computers?

(2) Does it remove blank pages when scanning both sides? I saw that the Fujitsu ScanSnap advertises this but the Epson website made no mention.

(3) Any complaints with the epson scanner?

(4) when scanning in OD do you select the single page scan with this scanner or the multipage scan? Reason I ask is with my MIcrotek flat bed scanning multiple pages OD has to prompt between pages if you want to scan an additional page. With this scanner I just have to load the try and select scan once right and not get prompted for each additional page right?

(5) With my Microtek flatbed scanner if I scan 20 or so pages of an old chart OD I would loose my complete scan. I was assuming the file size was too large for either OD or the scanner software. It has been awhile since I tried and don't remember exactly what error happened each time. Has anybody used the epson scanner to scan very large old charts without any problems?

(6) This question is for Jordan assuming he has continued to read this far....in the new Beta 12.1 I first tried to setup the default scanner in OD on the workstation with my scanner. I kept getting an error that said something like no license found for the software (don't remember the exact wording). Then I went to my server which has no scanner and did the same thing and was told no license was found but a trial license was issued for 30 days. Then I went back to the workstation and my scanner software pulled up. I actually have probably at least 3 different softwares for scanning on that workstation but luckily OD picked the one I use. Why did this happen? If I have two different scanners running on my network Microtek and Epson will there be a problem? Is there somewhere in Windows to set the default scanner software for each workstation like we do for printers?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Multi-page scanners

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 pm

4. Right. We don't support that style of "multi-page" scanning.
6. We've changed the behavior on whether you can pick a scanner or not. There's no such thing as a "default" scanner in Windows. We only realized recently that this might be a problem, and we haven't located a way yet to allow setting your scanner selection ahead of time. So I think we may be stuck with an option to let you pick each time if you have more than one installed. What specific version of OD are you using?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 pm

1 yes it does work with 64 bit

2 yes it does remove blank pages

3 its a little better then the snap scan...it has a scan to print which gives you a copy machine, the twain driver is nice. and od is quirky with the multiscan...and pdf files show up blank in od but when you click on the file it opens in your pdf reader. also the new eob multiscan gives errors often but not consistently

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm

version.. 12.1.3

and thanks to both for the info!!
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

openwide

Post by openwide » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 am

yes it does work with windows 7 64bit

OD is definately quirky with the multi page scan.
When you single scan you can use your scanner interface to choose settings.
If you multiscan with OD, it just starts scanning, no interface, no settings options, you dont get to remove blank pages, or edit pages like rotating.

I have the same scanner which i got for the same reasons you want

I am using 11.1.16.0

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks...
Placed my order...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Doh.
Last edited by Justin Shafer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Going to try the Canon DR-2010C Scanner hopefully soon. Its just more affordable then the Fujitsu... Hmm the Fujitsu is now on sale...

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:59 pm

openwide wrote:OD is definately quirky with the multi page scan.
When you single scan you can use your scanner interface to choose settings.
If you multiscan with OD, it just starts scanning, no interface, no settings options, you dont get to remove blank pages, or edit pages like rotating.
Try version 12.2, which has more options and also updates the twain library that was used.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com