Insurance Rollover Maximums

For users or potential users.
mfdental

Insurance Rollover Maximums

Post by mfdental » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I was wondering if Open Dental has a Rollover maximum function? I did a search in the help database, and nothing came up.
Some insurance companies roll over some of the insurance benefits towards the next year's maximum if there are benefits remaining.

Thanks,
Jason

nathansparks

Re: Insurance Rollover Maximums

Post by nathansparks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm

You can simply add an 'adjustment to insurance benefits' in the upper right of the edit insurance plan window http://opendental.com/manual/insplan.html. I have not seen a request for an automation for this, probably because it is not too common and perhaps because it might not be accurate unless you got the number from the insurance company, in which case you could just type it in, it only takes a few seconds.

mfdental

Post by mfdental » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

nathansparks:
I already use that function to enter insurance and deductible used... however, there's no option to add in rollover insurance?
There's only an insurance used and deductible used section. No insurance credit section.
I have a patient that has $1000 yearly maximum, but $500 rollover. Currently, in order for me to account for this, I've been going into the "edit benefits" section, and changing their yearly maximum benefit to $1500... The problem is... its hard to keep track of all of this. What if they use up all their insurance this year, and in 2013, they are back to $1000 maximum. Then I have to manually change it to $1000 again. What happens if I forget to change it? We will end up giving the patient an incorrect estimate based off of a $1500 maximum, instead of $1000. Do I have to manually change it each time? This seems like a headache.

mfdental

Post by mfdental » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Nevermind... I figured it out. I just realized you can enter (-) $500 to give it a $500 credit.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 am

Well that's lucky. We didn't design it with negative numbers in mind. I've added that to the manual so that we don't accidentally break it in the future.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 am

If anyone else come across this like me, here's how I entered it and it seems to work.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com