digital radiography

For users or potential users.
drbortfeld

digital radiography

Post by drbortfeld » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 am

Looking for advice from NJ GP using open dental, which digital radiography system do you use, pros and cons please.

faverymi

Re: digital radiography

Post by faverymi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Im from MA.
Using XDR with Open Dental.
Cost.
Solid Sensors
Great support.
Simple software
warranty.

Email me faverymi at yahoo dot com if you need more details

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 am

Dexis

Pros:
1) software is best in class
2) support is great
3) with service contract after 1st year (within the first year, service contract is included), accidental damage to sensor incurs a small fee for its overnight replacement
4) networking is easy with dexis and it integrates extremely well with Open Dental

Cons:
1) Cost
2) Cost
3) Cost

My practice is a 4 doc partnership in which we run 6 chairs. For us, the ROI for using Dexis instead of film and developer was immediate. The way we structured it, we saved money from day one after the installation of the system vs. film. Of course, XDR maybe a great system, but as I said, Dexis in my opinion, is really best in class, and if you are a solo practitioner, I think the initial capital investment which you can probably write off 100% for 2012 (check with your accountant) is not so severe as to dictate your best choice for you.

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:05 pm

When we tested both in office, I liked the image quality from XDR better than Dexis...so even though Dexis says it is the best, I didn't think so. Their software certainly is more advanced, but we went with XDR three years ago and love it.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:29 am

Ditto for us. We converted in 2009 to digital and use XDR. Last year we made the final conversion and moved our pan to digital and again a painless process. At the time of the pan conversion, I got to talk directly to Dr. Yoon who tweaked the imaging software on the pan computer to optimize the images. I wouldn't think twice about using XDR or OpenDental. XDR bridges well with OD and we have not had any issues so far.

The reason most (well I'm) here is because of the attention to detail and service provided by Jordan and the rest of the team. If you read through the forums you will see several instances where changes have come about to the program directly from the input of the cutomers. A feat not shared by other companies. XDR is very similar. It's not unusual to call support at either company and get to speak directly to Jordan or Nathan at OD or Dr. Yoon at XDR. Both companies are run similar to the way we practice--Modern Technology with attention to customer service. For us it's a great fit, others may not share our sentiment. Sorry for being long winded.

Jim

jimgaas

Post by jimgaas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:10 am

We are already using Schick in our office and we are considering XDR. Does anyone have any experience using more that one digital xray system in the office?
What are the ups and downs of having one DH take pictures with a Schick sensor and another take them with XDR? Can the images be stored in the same database
or is that not practical? Thanks!

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 pm

prob could be done to use two in the same office, but no, I don't think it would be possible to use the same database for both. Now, you might be able to have one of the software programs USE the other sensor so you only have one database...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 am

Apteryx software is good for when you want to use multiple sensor types and only have one image database. But your existing images would need to be converted over to Apteryx, and also XDR sensors might not be a good fit with Apteryx. You would need to contact Apteryx for that information.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

alyosha

Post by alyosha » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:27 pm

I got two EVA sensors (one on Ebay, the other from Net32); they both came with ProImage disks and work fine with OpenDental bridge and WinXP. So far they are trustworthy sensors, in use every day for 4 years without a hitch. They've been dropped and crunched. When I got these, they were the most inexpensive sensors around.
I'm still waiting for a <$10K digital pan; then we'll subtract ourselves from the photo chemical experience altogether.

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am

alyosha,

I just got a Panoramic Corp, certified used machine, fitted for digital. Less than 20K...it is the PC 1000, refurbished old film pan, all new parts, new warranty, new sensor, and installation and computer all for less than 20K....great deal...I don't know if you can digital pan for less than 10K, but for not much more, you get a rock solid machine and pan.

I have 'one' Dexis sensor,and I am scared about the day it 'goes' as I don't have 10k to buy one intra-oral sensor....I should look into those EVA sensors...

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 am

Another shout for XDR. Very sturdy product at a (relatively) low price. Hardware warranty and customer service are excellent. Seamless integration with OD. See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3938&p=17298&hilit=xdr#p17294

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 am

So the XDR sensors do work directly with Open Dental? Anyone know if we can use the Owandy iMax Touch digital pan/ceph with OD?

Also, is there any chance that OD could be made to import images and/or video from an EyeFi wireless card from a DSLR? That would be sweet!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 am

No, the XDR sensors work directly with XDR software, and Open Dental has a great bridge to XDR software.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:00 pm

I use and love XDR and the staff/Dr. Yoon are wonderful. Having said that, recent changes in the software pisses me off
/rant on
The XDR software makes you read off a code to the rep, then they would give you a code to enter to activate the software. That's fine, that's how they make money with support beyond selling you the original package. No problem.
Now with the recent software update (~1 year ago), the darn thing phones home every few days, meaning you would need to run the reactivation software. That's what gets me. Just yesterday my brother asked me to look at an X-ray by logging into his office computer regarding a lesion. The darn thing said something like, "The software has been out of contact for 5 days, please run so-and-so to reactivate or call 1-800-blahblah" What the *%&^! It treats you like a piece of crap. I don't understand why they have to go making things so difficult for their paying customers. It's not like the software can be used with someone else's sensors.
/rant off
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 pm

teethdood wrote:I use and love XDR and the staff/Dr. Yoon are wonderful. Having said that, recent changes in the software pisses me off
/rant on
The XDR software makes you read off a code to the rep, then they would give you a code to enter to activate the software. That's fine, that's how they make money with support beyond selling you the original package. No problem.
Now with the recent software update (~1 year ago), the darn thing phones home every few days, meaning you would need to run the reactivation software. That's what gets me. Just yesterday my brother asked me to look at an X-ray by logging into his office computer regarding a lesion. The darn thing said something like, "The software has been out of contact for 5 days, please run so-and-so to reactivate or call 1-800-blahblah" What the *%&^! It treats you like a piece of crap. I don't understand why they have to go making things so difficult for their paying customers. It's not like the software can be used with someone else's sensors.
/rant off
Hmmmmm, I think I'll be using the XDR sensors with my Apteryx software then!

openwide

Post by openwide » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

teethdood wrote:I use and love XDR and the staff/Dr. Yoon are wonderful. Having said that, recent changes in the software pisses me off
/rant on
/rant off
I have been using XDR software with the sensors for the past year. Never had a problem or heard of such a thing "reactivating". If I have a question I just call and immediately talk to a person as we do for OD

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Just spoke with Tanya at XDR. They made good on a mistake they made 2 years ago. What a great company!! And the best part is that we did not even know they had made a mistake.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:05 am

XDR Sensors\Softare= great filters, low cost, durable sensor, software itself is very simplistic. Created by Doug Woon? who wrote the Kodak logicon filter. HIGHLY recommend http://www.dentalsensors.com for this route. Deal with TOM. TOM is GREAT.

Apteryx = Very powerful software, X-Ray filters are good but could use some updating honestly. If you use Apteryx with Kodak, then you can use Kodak filters. Apteryx does not make sensors, instead you can use ALL sensors with Apteryx EXCEPT Dexis unless you know how. :D

Dexis = Good software, only really works with Dexis sensors unless you use a twain driver from Video Dental, then you can use an XDR\E2V sensor with Dexis 10. Filters in Dexis is pretty good. Almost equal to Kodak. Expensive. Dexis has a one size fits all, pretty comfy

Schick = Good Software. Schick 33's with Schick CDR Software is very nice. I think they have the best x-ray filters at the moment. Pricey. Sensors seem built like a tank, probably as comfy as a tank. :D They just seem large.

Sigma Digital X-ray = Throwing them in because they have a durasoft sensor. I have never used it, but I might end up seeing it soon. They used to sell the Bio-Ray XDR (Hamamatsu). They still sell Hamamatsu sensors. Pretty sure they had the first Fiber Optic Plate.. Dang great xrays from the Bio-Ray SDX while people were still buying Dexis classic sensors.. and the OLD e2v\xdr sensors which I was never really fond of.

Kodak = Still selling the RVG6100 sensor. KDI software. Don't know the price. They have a logicon algorithm that can aide in detecting caries. Great Image. Kind of dated.

Romexis = Planmecca program written in Java... I personally am not fond of this program. Love planmecca pan's though.

I could add more or ramble on, but I gotta go file for 4 hours. :D

Ever since sensors started using a Fiber Optic Plate, clarity has greatly improved.

Want to see what RAW X-rays from sensors REALLY look like before filters? They should be soft. AFTER this it's all FILTERS

2008 Hamamatsu Sensor (BioRay SDX) unfiltered.. RAW

BE SURE TO COMPARE THE WARRANTY!!! I never went into that..... Lookin at you, DEXIS.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Justin. Could you tell me what Apteryx can do (other tha suppost every sensor ever made) that XDR's native software cannot? I am curious.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Watch out for Schick Tech Support. That matters as well in the grand scheme of things. :shock:

In Dental IT from time to time you get bad support. Bad today was REALLY bad.

tomle

Post by tomle » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:02 pm

I have been using SuniRay2 and they are very good. With the sensor lower cost, and one time cost for ProfSuni software, they are great with OD.....

Nate

Post by Nate » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Apteryx can store sensor files in jpg or a proprietary (stb) format. Any recommendations to which would be better and why? I am wondering if there would be a significant difference in file size, image quality, difficulty exporting files or converting to different imaging program in the future. I appreciate any feedback.

Nate

Post by Nate » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Well I found out that their stb format is uncompressed so theoretically a little larger file and a little better resolution. However because dental x-rays from sensors are very low quality (usually about 4 Megapixels or less) it realistically doesn't make much of a difference in files size or quality.
The stb has added exif information that can be stored and has better tracking for image changes.
I also found that saving in jpg does not really simply save it in the data base as a jpg. It seems to save the file as a .auto file that you can change the extension to jpg and view it as a regular jpg. I'm not sure if it is really possible for it to be saved in the database directly as a jpg. Just what I found out on my end. So I'm not really sure it matters too much which route you go. I was also told the stb could be saved as a zip file then opened and change individual files to jpg and could be viewed that way. I could not get it to work but that may be possible.
Because you pay for each license with Apteryx I thought the jpg route might be better and easier to back up and verify on a home computer but seems it would still be cumbersome.