Web version

For users or potential users.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Web version

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 pm

We have just begun aggressively building a web version of Open Dental. No promises that it will work out; we've tried before and failed. But I'm really excited at the possibility that we will succeed. We've decided that it will not be a multi-tenant database. In other words, each customer will be in a separate database instead of mixed in the same database with other customers. We've also decided that we will use the same exact schema as our main Open Dental product. This means that not only will we offer a hosted version, but users will eventually be able to have the full version of Open Dental at the office, and the web version while away from the office. It will work on all browsers, operating systems, and devices. This will include Windows, Linux, Mac, iPad, Android, and smart phones. Wish us luck.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Re: Web version

Post by drtech » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 pm

look forward to this in the future!
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:16 pm

i have always been one for moving the program forward, but can some one please tell me what is the benefit of a web based open dental? YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER the digital input(xrays, photos?) I just dont see why companies are investing in web based dental programs? there is not anything gained that logmein or a vpn connection doesnt provide. Please tell me what is the benefit to us the current end users.

irfan

Post by irfan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 pm

for one, the download speed from a web version is probably much much faster than the speed you would get with VPN. with that you would depend on the upload speed of the office internet connection...additionally the vast majority of users wouldnt have the slightest clue how to set up a VPN on each home computer or laptop. hamachi works, is free, but its deathly slow.

a web version auto-syncs and you just need to log in... way simpler. if the server goes down adn the web version is synced every few minutes you could get by with using that as a backup.

photos and xrays should probably still be kept local.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 pm

The reason we're doing it isn't so much for remote access. It's to be able to have a product for multi-location customers, especially the ones that want a hosted solution. They want no installation because they don't have time to install on 150 workstations. I suppose the staff could RDP in from each of the 150 workstations, but that doesn't scale up as well as a web version. Bottom line is that we can't afford to have those big customers go somewhere else, and they insist on a web version.

No, we're not going to synch. We've tried that, and we really don't care for it. If the server goes down, the web version will go down with it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 am

i have a fantastic connection and don't notice any drop off in connection. jordans answer makes more sense but by his own admission the web development tools don't afford for nice gui...I guess development is driven by capture of market share.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 am

That's cool. You guys always continue to amaze.

I know development is ongoing, but I'll ask anyway - How do you envision radiographs/images will be handled? How about plugins? Also, we install software that imports HL7 data on the network into mySQL - how might this be handled in this scenario?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 am

Viewing radiographs/images should be very straightforward. Bridges.... not sure yet. Plugins will come later. This will, as usual, be open source. So until we get plugins, you would just alter the source code.

Yes, the GUI is inferior to a Windows program. However, a lot of progress has been made over the last few years. We're finally going to be able to add significant intelligence on the client side. I'm kind of glad we waited, because there just wasn't enough power before now to build it like we want.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

kdna

Post by kdna » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 am

Best of luck to you Jordan and the entire Open Dental Team! Not sure about what this means to HIPAA etc.

Have you thought about putting the project on GitHub (github.com) and Open Sourcing the development to those interested? I would be willing to contribute my html5/js skills in your effort.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 am

We won't be using a single line of html. It is all GWT (which admittedly converts it to html). It's web programming nirvana compared to what I've tried in the past.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DrDan

Post by DrDan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 am

Jordan,
You said one of the main reasons for this enhancement of Open Dental is to accomodate larger customers with multiple locations.....
Does that mean you're creating an enterprise version of Open Dental via the "cloud"??

DrDan

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am

We already have an enterprise "version". See http://www.opendental.com/manual/multiplelocations.html
We are simply adding even more options than we already have. Enterprise users can be very demanding and very specific about their needs. I'm not sure how complex of an answer you're looking for here, but the link above would be a good place to start, and then you can ask more questions if that page doesn't answer them.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

sammyp42

Post by sammyp42 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Seems like this thread has been dead for a while... what's the status of the web based version? I would prefer something that I can host through my own service provider....

Am half tempted to try building something myself if it doesn't already exist.

daniel

Post by daniel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:09 am

Yes, any updates on the web version? This would be great!

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 am

We've been making great progress on the "web" foundation that the full blown Open Dental web version can be built on:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/eservices.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

pid_user

Post by pid_user » Tue May 03, 2016 10:41 am

Hello OpenDental team,

Please share your plans regarding plugins, when you move to web version. How will existing plugins will be supported?

Thank you!
PID

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 am

I don't work for OpenDental, but have been a longtime user and written a few plugins. Based on my assumptions and observations, plugins without user interfaces should "just work" on the yet to be released web version, while plugins with user interfaces may require some additional work to be compatible. Again, these are assumptions and I am not in any way affiliated with or speaking for the OpenDental team!
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Fri May 06, 2016 12:34 pm

A browser based version (as opposed to the current middle tier web connection) cannot have plugins 'just work' because it won't even have hooks, and is coded from scratch in another language. There won't (can't be) be plugins. But the main Open Dental version is not going anywhere, and this is not an issue. There will be something like program links probably that will allow other browser based code to be ran from the open dental interface.

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification Nathan, my assumptions were clearly way off. I'm sorry for misleading anyone who may have ready my post.

Will offices have the option to run the windows application and the browser version against the same database side by side?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri May 06, 2016 2:17 pm

Ardavan wrote:Will offices have the option to run the windows application and the browser version against the same database side by side?
As of right now, yes. That is the goal and it seems to be working nicely with our current eServices. I don't foresee anything that would require the Windows application to use a different database than the Web application (here's to hoping!).
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Tue May 10, 2016 10:24 am

They will certainly work from the same database. My hope is to add limited tablet functionality first, as duplicating the entire program in a browser is more difficult and having some tablet functionality sooner makes more sense to me right now.

uimtiaz

Post by uimtiaz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Any ballpark estimates as to when a web version of open dental will be released.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 am

uimtiaz wrote:Any ballpark estimates as to when a web version of open dental will be released.
No. If you need access to Open Dental via the internet I recommend looking into a middle tier setup right now:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/middletier.html

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:15 am

AWESOME NEWS!! Thanks for the update.