iPads and the like

For users or potential users.
murmsk

iPads and the like

Post by murmsk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

It seems to me that those little tablets are here to stay and have some potential for being useful in the dental office. I know OD will not run on either an android or an ipad but I think it is inevitable that all PMS's will have some tablet functionality. OD should be at the forefront.

I assume apps could be written to interact with the database in specific ways?

Should we begin to think of ways these things could be useful.

Top of my list would be for reading and signing informed consent
I could see an app that would pull an IandC document from the main server, add patient and clinical information, the patient would read and sign , the signed document would then be saved in the image module.

any discussion

steve
steve

teethdood

Re: iPads and the like

Post by teethdood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I tried to incorporate the ipad into my practice since day 1. I set up a virtual machine to allow the ipad to connect to using Remote Desktop Connection. It worked decently for quick OD checks/X-rays/etc but not really useful for entering information, even with the keyboard dock. I ended up just using it to check my appt schedules from home. I believe a native ipad app is necessary to make it really useful, but then again you can only use it for OD and can't check X-rays etc. Also from what I understand, signatures signed with fingertips aren't legal. It has to be with a pen/stylus.
Short answer: I gave up on the ipad-for-the-office. Still awesome for quick appt checks/X-ray views. Waiting for a good windows tablet.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm

you may want to look into yapicentral.com. it may have many of the features you are looking to integrate with od

Janet Century

Post by Janet Century » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:21 pm

teethdood, when you refer to a quick exam check, what is it you are doing? Is it entering the info for a routine hygiene exam? That would be most helpful if that were the case.

thanks

janet

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 am

Janet,

I just use the ipad to login to one of the computers using Remote Desktop Connection (many RDC apps available in the Apple App Store). I mainly just use it to check my appt schedule to know when I should come in, see what procedures I did, etc. but not really to enter info. You can certainly use it to enter exam info/treatment plan. Try it and see if it works smoothly for you. The reason I don't use it for that purpose is because my ops are equipped with touch screens and wireless kb/mouse
http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-WIRELESS-S ... 505&sr=8-6
Drop the ipad = cracked screen
Drop the kb/mouse = did that a few times, still working.
Ok, good luck
Philip H. Doan, DDS

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:06 pm

We are using iPads with YAPI in conjunction with Open Dental. Here's the basic flow, although it is still a work in progress for sure. Because I see the potential, we just purchased 2 more iPad2's for the office, will likely get another 1-2.

> Each clinical team member will have an assigned iPad. Within YAPI, each is given a simple designation, such as "S1" or whatever you like, just so YAPI can identify which one you want to use.
> YAPI can function in 2 ways: either as a Dashboard that looks like a condensed version of the desktop version, or just as a signature pad. We haven't decided for sure which we prefer, but we're leaning towards the Dashboard view.
> We are mostly moving towards having all our forms (consents, post-ops, etc) in YAPI. They can be viewed/signed from EITHER a desktop or the iPad, and this is customizable by operatory or for the office as a whole.
> Patients review and sign medical hx and HIPPA, consents, etc. on the iPad. These are then easily transferred directly to the Open Dental "Images" folder as PDF's.
> For things like treatment plans, from OD we use the YAPI Writer to "print" to the patient YAPI file, and they can then sign tx plans or whatever on the iPad as needed, and again, those can be then emailed directly or transferred to OD's Images folder.

Our goal is to become 90-95% paperless within the next 2 months using YAPI. We will be eliminating Route Slips within the next couple of weeks by using the Check Out Notes portion of YAPI. What would really be sweet is if notes made in YAPI could be directly added to the patient account, CommLog, or something like that. Don't know if it's a feature they're looking at or not, but it would be nice.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Philip-

FYI Logmein has a really nice free iPhone/iPad app

http://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id479229407

or you can buy Logmein Ignition in the app store. It's really slick...

I forget though....are you running all Macs and virtualizing your PCs?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 pm

wjstarck wrote:Philip-

FYI Logmein has a really nice free iPhone/iPad app

http://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id479229407

or you can buy Logmein Ignition in the app store. It's really slick...

I forget though....are you running all Macs and virtualizing your PCs?
I like LogMeIn Ignition on the iPad, too, but YAPI is superior IMO.

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 am

I was under the impression logmein is just like RDC. I will look into logmein and YAPI as suggested.
Wjstarck: I'm running windows PCs with Linux server/virtualized windows server.
Philip H. Doan, DDS

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 am

Similar.

I haven't messed with RDC for a while, Logmein stuff is always pretty snappy speedwise if you have a good internet connection and the graphics are great.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

alecd4

Post by alecd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 am

What would really be sweet is if notes made in YAPI could be directly added to the patient account, CommLog, or something like that. Don't know if it's a feature they're looking at or not, but it would be nice.
Yes we are working on this. Currently when you click Dismiss button in Checkout Notes, YAPI copies all notes to Clipboard so you can paste those notes any place you want.

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 am

I have a smallish Reception area that is hard to accomodate a private space for a 'kiosk'. I was hoping that an Ipad with keyboard dock would work with online sheets?

Is this possible? In June I want to put our basic info sheets on our website to patients can fill in online and we can download. For those that forget to do it at home, or emergencies, etc, I want to do it in office...

Anybody try this? Does it work?

Thanks....

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes, that should work. It's just another website as far as the iPad is concerned. What you miss out on is the extra kiosk functionality of letting the patients confirm their existing address info. The web forms won't prefill the existing data for security reasons.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 am

Smilesbypayet wrote:We are using iPads with YAPI in conjunction with Open Dental. Here's the basic flow, although it is still a work in progress for sure. Because I see the potential, we just purchased 2 more iPad2's for the office, will likely get another 1-2.

> Each clinical team member will have an assigned iPad. Within YAPI, each is given a simple designation, such as "S1" or whatever you like, just so YAPI can identify which one you want to use.
> YAPI can function in 2 ways: either as a Dashboard that looks like a condensed version of the desktop version, or just as a signature pad. We haven't decided for sure which we prefer, but we're leaning towards the Dashboard view.
> We are mostly moving towards having all our forms (consents, post-ops, etc) in YAPI. They can be viewed/signed from EITHER a desktop or the iPad, and this is customizable by operatory or for the office as a whole.
> Patients review and sign medical hx and HIPPA, consents, etc. on the iPad. These are then easily transferred directly to the Open Dental "Images" folder as PDF's.
> For things like treatment plans, from OD we use the YAPI Writer to "print" to the patient YAPI file, and they can then sign tx plans or whatever on the iPad as needed, and again, those can be then emailed directly or transferred to OD's Images folder.

Our goal is to become 90-95% paperless within the next 2 months using YAPI. We will be eliminating Route Slips within the next couple of weeks by using the Check Out Notes portion of YAPI. What would really be sweet is if notes made in YAPI could be directly added to the patient account, CommLog, or something like that. Don't know if it's a feature they're looking at or not, but it would be nice.

Chip,

I saw you use YAPI with OD. With YAP, when a patient signs a consent form, can it directly go to the patient images, or does it get emailed to the FD, who then has to import it back into the patient chart? Can you have patients sign treatment plans from YAPI and have it go to OD directly.

I am sick of printing and scanning all day long, and want to free up my only FD from having to do this.
I was investigating Meditalk Dentaforms, YAPI and just a signature pad for each computer. Not sure which way to go.

Thanks

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:21 pm

we tried Yapi a couple times... my biggest issue is that its too intrusive... by that I mean to use it efficiently you have to use it for every patient. There are many patients that I dont need to interact with Yapi for, but if you skip those patients it screws up the OPs , checkouts, etc. I wanted to be able to use OD for everything and just use Yapi as an adjunct for consent forms, messaging, etc , but that ends up making it more of a headache

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

what version of yapi are you on? ifran it does do just consent forms if thats what you want?

and yes it goes directly into OD. once the ipad form is completed a icon pops up on the desktop that the form is complete and you import the document. It will give you a chance to correct errors on the document...once you import the information a "paper" copy is saved in the image folder of your choice with the patients signature...

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 am

It was the importing steps that bothered me. Find patient on YAPI, fill form, then on desktop client had to remember to import documents for the day and approve them, and of you forgot to do that you had to go
Thru some steps to finddays previous days documents. Was cumbersome at the time. For the $1200 I paid I wanted something better. Would have preferred find in YAPI , sign, done.

alecd4

Post by alecd4 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 pm

irfan wrote:It was the importing steps that bothered me. Find patient on YAPI, fill form, then on desktop client had to remember to import documents for the day and approve them, and of you forgot to do that you had to go
Thru some steps to finddays previous days documents. Was cumbersome at the time. For the $1200 I paid I wanted something better. Would have preferred find in YAPI , sign, done.
Actually the purpose of keeping all signed documents on YAPI Dashboard is that most doctors want to view/sign documents later. Doctors/staff can view/sign documents anytime on an iPad or a PC whatever device is available. If you don't want to see signed documents on Dashboard you simply send them to Images directly from iPad; like you said:signed,done. As far as documents left in YAPI and not moved by the end of the day, you can setup YAPI to automatically swipe all unfilled documents under a given, say "Unfilled", category in OD Images. YAPI will (optionally) send you an email to informs you that some documents were unfilled.

Nate

Post by Nate » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Anyone still using YAPI or another way to incorporate Ipad for signatures of consent, treatment plans, health history's?
Thanks for any advise.

PedroBecker

Post by PedroBecker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:15 am

If your looking to view your practice data on an iPhone or an iPad, then you may want to look at DDS Dashboard

DDS Dashboard is a true app downloadable in the iTunes or Android store.

Phone number: 877-DDS-APPS

iTunes link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dds-das ... 62429?mt=8

DDS Dashboard has been in the works for a very long time and it's now live and operational! DDS Dashboard is cutting edge technology as for when it comes to the design and architecture of the application!

List of features thus far:
1. Use the app on any of the following devices - iphone/ipad/android
2. Use the app from anywhere in the world
3. Schedule Tab - View your open dental schedule for past or future patient appointments
4. Search Tab - View of all your patients info, recent appointments, name, dob, cell, home and work phone numbers
5. Waiting room tab - view which patients are in the chair, in the waiting room or are late and the amount of time for each of these metrics
6. Performance tab - Production, Adjustments, New Patients - Yesterday, Today, MTD, YTD
7. Performance tab - Total patients by zip code - Pie chart

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:29 am

If only pinch-to-zoom was easy on Windows 8 Desktop Apps that are not Metro or Store enabled or whatever...

Is this still the case? I would like to see Surface RT tablets, but it's a deal breaker without pinch-to-zoom.. Sort of.

PedroBecker

Post by PedroBecker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm

If your looking to view your "Open Dental" practice data on an iPhone or an iPad, then you may want to look at DDS Dashboard

DDS Dashboard is a true app downloadable in the iTunes or Android store.

Phone number: 877-DDS-APPS

iTunes link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dds-das ... 62429?mt=8

APPLICATION FEATURES
DDS Dashboard is compatible with all of the following devices iphone/ipad/android
Utilize DDS Dashboard from anywhere in the world to view your dental practice Open Dental data.

If there is a feature you would like to see added in a future release, please email us at requests@ddsapps.com

Patient Info
View all of your patient’s pertinent info in one view. You can see all of their contact details, past and current appointments, details into specific procedures, as well as past prescriptions

Schedule
View your open dental schedule for past or future patient appointments, as well as specific details, such as procedure description.

Search
View of all your patients info, recent appointments, name, DOB, prescription history, cell, home and work numbers

Waiting room
View which patients are in the chair, in the waiting room or are late and the amount of time for each of these metrics

Performance (Reports/Charts)
- Production, Adjustments, New Patients (Yesterday, Today, MTD, YTD)
- Total patients by zip code
- Production (WTD, MTD, 6 MTD, YTD)
- Scheduled production (30, 60, 90, ALL)
- New patients (WTD, MTD, 6 MTD, YTD)
- Outstanding Claims (30, 60, 90, ALL)
- Referral Count (30, 60, 90, 180)
- Referral Income (30, 60, 90, 180)

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Yikes.

No need to triple post :evil:

Bad netiquette that :p

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

PedroBecker

Post by PedroBecker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 am

Bill

Thanks for the kindly feedback, but if you look closely our post wasn't a triple post...

We'd like to keep the community abreast of our progress made to date, espifically since DDS Dashboard interacts with Open Dental.

The Open Dental forum is great place for us to show the community the cutting edge features that were incorporating to interact with open dental.

Over the years we've been asked to deliver features that dentist nationwide have been requesting to be made available to iPhones/iPads and android for Open Dental

Our apologies if you took offense.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, I'm not sure what your definition of triple is, but triple to me means the same thing 3 times :lol:

I did not 'take offense', it's just that we are all busy, and multiple posting of exactly the same content is not only disingenuos, but will generally only serve to irritate the very people you wish to market to.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

nwdentist

Post by nwdentist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 am

Hi there,
If I'm missing out on something here, I hear signing documents with finger on iPad is not legal in the US. I'm not sure to what percent is digital signature with stylus or finger on a touchpad legally adopted around the world.

Of further note, as this is the iPad thread, I'm wondering at what points are you using iPads for?
- For patient personal information form and medical information data entry, and signing that.
- For reading consent forms, and signing that.
- For presenting treatment plan, and then signing that too?
- For reviewing financial arrangement/agreement, and signing that?
- For the case of a children for a parent/guardian to sign, I guess.

How many signatures are necessary for a patient? Do you get all those? What are other instances where a signature is necessary?
Sina