Query Examples

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Query Examples

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 am

I am amazed at the number and types of query examples that exist for OD. Could they be sorted in a better way or listed as summaries? Searching through them is a bear.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Query Examples

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 pm

We do our best to categorize them. It's also a bear to maintain them as the database schema changes. I don't really see any good solution.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 am

Stupid me - I never noticed the Boolean Sorting boxes at the top of the list.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 am

Rickliftig wrote:Stupid me - I never noticed the Boolean Sorting boxes at the top of the list.
Rick, where are you looking?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:55 am

Top of the list, there are three pulldown boxes.

===========

So here is why I needed the query (I forget the exact number): We recently lost our power for seven days (at home, at the office and in the region - everyone was SOL)... we also lost phone - both landline and cell. In the future, I will have the following paper backups available:

1) hard copy of key contacts - staff, etc. (a query needs to be created for this)
2) hard copy of all patients, phone numbers and addresses (generated by query)
3) laptop ready to be placed into service for OD, but all data will be on a secure drive (usb key will work)

This widespread outage was a real wake-up call. When there is no power, your cellphone towers are running on battery or generator. In this case, many landlines were brought down by fallen trees and everyone was on cellular, which brought the system to its knees. Also, most landline phones need an ac source for the auxiliary functions - keep a basic phone (line powered) in reserve.

I an going to purchase a ups for our answering machine and I am considering disconnecting the main water shut-off solenoid to the office, or at least have a bypass valve so we have water.

My office is in an urban area and power failures of this magnitude have been rare.BUT, our power company has been negligent in its maintenance of substations and lines and I would not be surprised if some of the quick fixes fail during the upcoming winter months. The ultimate solution is a generator, but I don't intend to make that investment (for my landlord).

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net