Best Value Xray Sensor for use with OD

For users or potential users.
djanash@mac.com

Best Value Xray Sensor for use with OD

Post by djanash@mac.com » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Ive heard that XDR Schick sensor is a much better value than the over hyped and over priced Dexis sensors out there..Which one works best and integrates easiest with OD.

Also what can I expect to pay for a Schick XDR and the software

drtech

Re: Best Value Xray Sensor for use with OD

Post by drtech » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 am

schick and XDR are not the same. I have XDR, works great. Each sensor is like $4600-$5600 or something like that. (depending on if size 1 or 2)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:12 pm

I think what you get with Dexis is really great software and if you are on the service plan, little oops here and there won't set you back thousands of dollars. We got Dexis because it was the only platform whose service contract was basically accidental insurance for the sensors. Can you really afford to replace one at full cost in a pinch? Dexis will send you a sensor overnight while you ship the defective one back so you are not out a sensor for too long. Also it integrates extremely well with OD. I just think you will probably have less headaches with the Dexis software/hardware combination along with their service agreement.

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 am

you are correct in the Dexis will send you a new one...but the $ you will save by buying XDR initially and then you just put that $ in the bank will buy you a whole new sensor the next day if you break it. Then every couple of years that go by you will have saved enough to buy another whole new sensor. If you break them every year you will be ahead with Dexis....if they last you 2-3 years or more then you will be way ahead with XDR. You pay for it one way or another...it just matters if you want to be your insurance company or you want dexis to be...you will pay for it either way....
David Fuchs

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 pm

As you say, you eventually end up paying one way or another. I can't speak for the XDR software, but Dexis' software is really slick if you ever have the chance to try it out.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 pm

stjames70 wrote:I think what you get with Dexis is really great software and if you are on the service plan, little oops here and there won't set you back thousands of dollars. We got Dexis because it was the only platform whose service contract was basically accidental insurance for the sensors. Can you really afford to replace one at full cost in a pinch? Dexis will send you a sensor overnight while you ship the defective one back so you are not out a sensor for too long. Also it integrates extremely well with OD. I just think you will probably have less headaches with the Dexis software/hardware combination along with their service agreement.
I agree wholeheartedly. Very happy with Dexis. Excellent software, and integrates very well with OD.
Have two sensors. Doc's sensor is 9 yrs old and works fine. Hygiene sensor replaced after 8 years. Only hygiene sensor is on warranty as it gets the most abuse. Saved a few bucks by not taking the overnight plan, since I have a second sensor in the office.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

fyc2001

Post by fyc2001 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 am

I have XDR sensors because it was recommended. But after a year of use, I am just have problems with the imaging software that it came with. the sensors are fine. problem : I can't open identical pt's xray on two different machine at the same time. IE, if my assistant took a xray in one room and ask me to check it out, I can't open that image unless she saves and closes XDR software. Then after I viewed it, I have to close it on my workstation for her to retake that xray. That was too cumbersome to me. If you don't close the software, overtime it will corrupt your database and you have to call XDR to rebuild the database. I had this done multiple times already.

So I recommend their sensors but not the software.

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:45 pm

hum...we have had XDR now for 2 years and have never had the corrupt database and open them in different rooms all the time...but they do always give you a warning that it "might" do something....
David Fuchs

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Dexis allows you to open in another room, but in read only. You get a pop-up warning you that the pt's x-rays are currently open on another workstation, and you will not be able to save any changes on this one.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 am

I bet I know what the problem is....if someone else is editing, you don't ever want to EDIT the exam at the same time or you might screw things up. If you only view it, it will not cause a problem. Yes, they should just remove being able to do that and lock you into view only...that would be an improvement to XDR.
David Fuchs

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:53 pm

XDR just switched our database from Borland to MySQl. The MySQL version will soon replace the Borland version in all dental offices using XDR. Supposedly the MySQL version is much more robust in multi-user environments although, like drtech we had no real problems with the Borland version. We did get a few scary sounding warnings but they turned out to be harmless.

irfan

Post by irfan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:04 am

fyc2001 wrote:I have XDR sensors because it was recommended. But after a year of use, I am just have problems with the imaging software that it came with. the sensors are fine. problem : I can't open identical pt's xray on two different machine at the same time. IE, if my assistant took a xray in one room and ask me to check it out, I can't open that image unless she saves and closes XDR software. Then after I viewed it, I have to close it on my workstation for her to retake that xray. That was too cumbersome to me. If you don't close the software, overtime it will corrupt your database and you have to call XDR to rebuild the database. I had this done multiple times already.

So I recommend their sensors but not the software.
you CAN view them both at the same time as long as you arent making changes to the images. Just ignore the warnings that pop up. If you make changes or someone is taking an image on that person at the same moment then you can have issues, but if they say they are done taking xrays and then you open it on your computer in your office, ignore the warnings and you will be fine. we do that all the time. XDR support even had me ignore the warning once.