Open Source scanning software

For users or potential users.
savvy

Open Source scanning software

Post by savvy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:06 pm

I currently have Nuance PaperPort 10 scanning,organizing software for non OD stuff.

All documents, CE Handouts, notices, etc that come to my office that I want to keep I scan and put into PaperPort file then shred.
How are others managing this?
What software are you using.

The reason I'm asking is that my PaperPort version can not be networked, therefore it only can be seen on the computer that it is used on.

Cheers!
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jclaydds

Re: Open Source scanning software

Post by jclaydds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

I am using a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 scanner. Cost is approximately $450. It is a great scanner that I highly recommend. It is NOT a twain scanner -- it only outputs to a PDF files. With the multipage scanning capability in Open Dental in version 11.1, I might do things differently and get the Fujitsu fi-6130 that is a twain scanner but it costs about twice as much ($900) as the S1500. We don't find it burdensome to scan documents to a PDF and import the file into Open Dental. Using a twain scanner to scan directly into Open Dental would eliminate this step. If you are using the scanner outside of Open Dental for document organization, then I like PDF documents so the S1500 is ideal for that application.

As far as software to organize your documents, we are using the software that is supplied by Fujitsu with their scanner if you order the Deluxe Bundle. The Fujitsu Software is called Rack-2-Filer. It is not supplied normally when you purchase the scanner but only comes with the scanner if you order the Deluxe Bundle. It only adds a few dollar to the scanner price if you order it when you purchase the scanner. We like Rack-2-Filer and the good news is that you can use it on a network. You will need multiple copies of Rack-2-Filer to install on different workstations. We have several of the S1500 scanners in our office and we purchased a copy of Rack-2-Filer each time we ordered a new scanner by ordering the deluxe bundle. We store all the data on our server and each workstation that has a copy of Rack-2-Filer can access the data on the server.

savvy

Post by savvy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks.
I use the same scanner, as well as an epson GT-50 and Epson 1680 pro. I agree that the fujitsu is terrific. Thanks for the software recommendation.
Anybody else?
Open Source?
Cheers!!
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 pm

savvy wrote:I currently have Nuance PaperPort 10 scanning,organizing software for non OD stuff.

All documents, CE Handouts, notices, etc that come to my office that I want to keep I scan and put into PaperPort file then shred.

The reason I'm asking is that my PaperPort version can not be networked, therefore it only can be seen on the computer that it is used on.

Cheers!
Sure you can view network files in Paperport.
I am doing the same as you except using PaperPort 12. I've bought every second or third version for the past 10 years. It's great!
All documents are on one computer that I designated as my "server", in a Public (shared) folder with 20+ branches.
PaperPort is installed on all my workstations.
On each workstation, open the Folder Manager in Paperport. Click ADD. Then browse through your network tree to find the shared folder and add it to you list of PaperPort Folders. It will be named as something like "Documents on serverxyz". All your documents will be accessible from any machine with Paperport.
When you scan in PaperPort, or when you Print To Paperport, everything goes into that network folder as a PDF.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 am

Looks like we need a mode in the images module for documents that are not patient specific, and in such a mode, the tree on the left would show the Windows folder heirarchy for the shared document folder. I'm assuming PaperPort also lets you search by keyword including full document contents search?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com