Old Task Lists

For users or potential users.
jclaydds

Old Task Lists

Post by jclaydds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 am

I have been using Task Lists for the last 2-3 years. It is one of my favorite features of Open Dental. It makes communication between our staff much more efficient. I have an issue with having task lists still showing on employees who no longer work in our office. I would like to delete these task lists after the employee terminates but there are still many completed tasks (in some cases - hundreds of tasks) in their task lists. Open Dental does not permit you to delete a task list unless it is empty. Many of these tasks are attached to patients and contain information that needs to be a part of the patient's record. For example -- John Doe calls with a toothache. My receptionist will send me a task with the information. I might tell her to schedule John Doe in at the end of the day or on my lunch tomorrow. In my reply, I may authorize her to call John Doe in an Rx. I consider all these details to be valuable to know for future reference. I don't just want to delete all these tasks and lose all this information. Any input on how you are handling this in your offices. I can see it becoming more of a problem when you have multiple old task lists from former employees still showing up on the list.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Old Task Lists

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Make a task list someplace called "old employees" or something like that. Cut/paste those task lists into this new task list.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Is there a way you can cut/paste multiple tasks at one time? Instead of using cut/paste, I am using the "Send To" and simply sending it to a Task List for "Previous Employees" as you suggested. When someone has literally hundreds of tasks, this is going to take a while (hours?) I am sure it comes under the category of a Feature Request but a nice touch would be to allow Task Lists to be hidden much like you can hide previous employees in Lists and in Security. Being able to hide their task list gets them off the list without the hours of time involved in deleting or sending their tasks to another list if you want to clean up your list to only reflect active employees. It seems like having only current employees on the Main Task List Page would be best.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:27 pm

You misunderstood. Cut/paste the list, not each task.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Jordan, I am feeling dumb right now. I must be doing something wrong but I can't seem to cut and paste the list either. I am right clicking on a task list that I want to cut, left clicking on cut and then right clicking on another list called "Previous Employees" and then left clicking on paste and nothing happens. Sorry, I am having trouble understanding.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:22 pm

You are just pasting it to the same place you cut it from. If you want to paste it inside the Previous Employees list, you would have to open that list first.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 am

That worked great! Sorry that I was so slow picking up on the solution you proposed.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 am

No worries. We made it behave the same as a Windows folder, but we don't have some of the hover effects and visual cues that would make it more intuitive.
Jordan Sparks, DMD