Converting to Open Dental from MOGO

For users or potential users.
bpott

Converting to Open Dental from MOGO

Post by bpott » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:43 am

Hello,

I am a database management intern working for a dental practice and I have been given the task to help set up new practice management software. The practice is currently using MOGO. At this point we are leaning strongly towards switching to Open Dental. My main question is about how to migrate the data from MOGO to Open Dental. Is it going to be a situation where I have to manually re-enter all the data to Open Dental?

I've been looking at the MySQL migration toolkit to convert the MS-SQL from MOGO to MySQL, but I realize that in doing that, I will still have to manipulate the data before I can put into OD. I was thinking of writing queries to convert try and put the data from the old database into the correct tables in the new database. Is this viable?

Will MOGO even allow me access to its tables? I have been setting up a test run to migrate a MOGO demo database to MySQL but have run into several snags along the way. If anyone has any experience in data migration I would love to get some advice.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Converting to Open Dental from MOGO

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 am

Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ekellydds

Post by ekellydds » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:45 am

Over a year ago, we converted from MOGO to O-D. I had looked into it some years ago, but never pulled the trigger.
Back then, there was not a way for O-D to do a conversion.

When we finally decided to act, and convert.....O-D did a "trial conversion" which we analyzed to check for accuracy and thoroughness. It checked out great, so we just had them do the conversion. It was almost no hassle. Actually, you'd get more thorough feedback from my staff than from me. I don't do much on the software. Just wanting to provide some positive input about our own conversion.

EKellyDDS@gmail.com

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:43 pm

We converted from MOGO in march of 2009. We'd been using MOGO pretty extensively since 2004 including EHR. You can imagine how much data we had. The trial conversion was extremely easy. I sent them a copy of my MOGO database and they sent me back a trial conversion a day or two later. It included all of my data only a few fields like the addresses were truncated. I was able to load it into opendental and spot check back and forth between MOGO and OD. I was able to find a few minor errors in the conversion and the programmer fixed them right away and sent back another trial conversion database. Once all the kinks were worked out we went live. All we did was upload our database after work on friday and within an hour we had our live database from OD. They were able to convert way more data then I ever imagined. I'm very happy I made the switch.

Also, the trial conversion was totally free. I was working with the trial database of my data for a couple of weeks before I called them up and they took my credit card for the final conversion.

-Adam