Question on migration to Linux

For users or potential users.
ki0ak

Question on migration to Linux

Post by ki0ak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 am

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere - I couldn't find anything with the "search" feature, here or the online manual. I am interested in migrating an existing OpenDental installation from a Windows Server 2008 server to Linux (Ubuntu) and am having trouble with the MySQL portion. I've copied the tables (after chown/chgrp to mysql/mysql) to /var/lib/mysql/opendental and restarted mysqld. When attempting to access from an OpenDental client, I get the following:

Access denied for user 'root'@'my_host's_name' (using password: NO)

Any ideas/suggestions? Is this a MySQL configuration issue? The MySQL user has not been changed from the default "root" nor was a password assigned.

Thanks.

Brad
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(319)396-7263

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Question on migration to Linux

Post by jordansparks » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 am

http://www.opendental.com/manual/passwordsmysql.html
You need to add a user called root@%
In other words, you currently only allow root@localhost is already present, but there is no way for users from other workstations to connect.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:50 am

easiest thing to do is to setup WebMin on your Ubuntu server and then you can edit those settings really easily and keep on top of your server. I have lots of experience in this area as I have run my officer server using Ubuntu now for about 5 years...let me know if you need any help..
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:31 am

I'm curious as to why you are migrating from Windows Server 2008 to Ubuntu Linux. I'm running Windows Server 2008 on top of Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine, so I can switch quite easily. Just want to know why you think it's advantageous to ditch windows server completely.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

ki0ak

Post by ki0ak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 am

jordansparks wrote: You need to add a user called root@%
Hi Jordan. I did this and continue to get the connection error message originally posted. Thanks for pointing that out by the way - I had read that page in the online manual but had not read into it enough to realize that user needed to be created.

drtech wrote:easiest thing to do is to setup WebMin
Hi David. Thanks for this - I was unaware of the WebMin utility. Quite handy.

teethdood wrote:I'm curious as to why you are migrating from Windows Server 2008 to Ubuntu Linux.
Hi Philip. We've experienced intermittent "locking up" of OpenDental (and only OpenDental). We're a small office (3 workstations and the server) and the server (Dell PowerEdge T110) is more than capable hardware-wise. I've experienced problems with Windows servers in the past (previous life as an IT consultant) and would rather get off the platform. Additionally, I want to introduce some additional applications into the practice that run on Linux and not Windows.

ki0ak

Post by ki0ak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 am

ki0ak wrote:
Hi Jordan. I did this and continue to get the connection error message originally posted. Thanks for pointing that out by the way - I had read that page in the online manual but had not read into it enough to realize that user needed to be created.
Interestingly enough, when I create a root user from a workstation's IP address (e.g., root@100.100.10.1) I can get in. Must be something with the root@% ID...

ki0ak

Post by ki0ak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am

ki0ak wrote:
ki0ak wrote:
Interestingly enough, when I create a root user from a workstation's IP address (e.g., root@100.100.10.1) I can get in. Must be something with the root@% ID...
And now it works. Perplexing, because I did not (knowingly) change anything with the root@% user ID.

Thank you again, everyone, for your help. This was the last hurdle before being able to migrate. Proof of concept, if you will. Now to go set up the development environment...
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(319)396-7263

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 am

% is a wildcard. There are different ways you can handle wildcards. I think leaving it blank is one option. Also, explicitly using an ip address is another option. But keep in mind that there is a difference between an ip address and a computername. See skip-name-resolve in the mysql manual. As you can see, this is somewhat complex, one of the main reasons we supply the grant tables in the first place and discourage switching to Linux.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ki0ak

Post by ki0ak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 am

jordansparks wrote:% is a wildcard. There are different ways you can handle wildcards. I think leaving it blank is one option. Also, explicitly using an ip address is another option. But keep in mind that there is a difference between an ip address and a computername. See skip-name-resolve in the mysql manual. As you can see, this is somewhat complex, one of the main reasons we supply the grant tables in the first place and discourage switching to Linux.
Thanks for your help, Jordan.
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(319)396-7263