scanning batch EOBs

For users or potential users.
afeuer

scanning batch EOBs

Post by afeuer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm

The new batch EOB entry is a really nice upgrade. Any plans for allowing us to scan the EOB directly into the batch claim or something similar? Right now we are either importing the batch EOB into every patients name on the list (which is making our scanned docs huge) or when there are too many entries we have created dummy patients with the name of the insurance company and we scan into them. Both are workarounds and neither are convenient or efficient.

It would be nice if we could have one scanned document and multiple patients could link to it. Even better would be to have the scanned EOBs linked to the actual insurance claim in the account screen. Looking up scanned EOBs is difficult to do with the current system.

I know this is a feature request. How do other offices handle this situation and are there any other ideas that might make this process better?

-Adam

alexei

Re: scanning batch EOBs

Post by alexei » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 am

I do exactly what you say, and I second your request.

I've also been using the scanner's software in order to get PDFs, which it seems to me are both more readable and smaller in filesize, and then importing them into OD. It would be great to have it automated, but I'm not holding my breath.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Yes, of course it's the obvious next step. In fact, we decided we had to support scanned eob's before we could do electronic eob's (ERAs). Since ERAs are currently at the very top of the request list, that is what is pushing the current improvements in batch entry.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I see that EOB scanning is going to be included in version 12. How will it work? Will it be accessible from the patients images, or within the claims? The main area we would like to have access to it would be in the actual insurance claim window where we can see the breakdown. This is going to save our front desk so many hours of work each month as well as stop our images folder from getting big so fast.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:50 pm

From the new batch payment window. That means that if you're in the claim edit window, you'll have to drill down into a payment, and then drill down into the image. It will not be available in the images module since it's not attached to any particular patient. I realize that the above description means more drilldown than ideal, but this is just the first iteration. We just wanted to get it working, and then we'll try to improve it. I agree that it would be nice to access the image directly from claim edit window.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:55 pm

so when we move to version 12.0 can we neatly move EOB's previously stored in the images folder of particular patients and attach them to previous claims or should we temporarly stop storing them in the images folder and just scan them into the correct place after version 12 comes out?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 am

I wouldn't bother moving old ones. I would just start scanning to the new location with version 12. It comes out in about a week.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm pretty sure Jordan just gave us a timeline for something... Anyone else catch that?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Argh.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

YES!!!!

Just in time for Christmas!!!...some new toys!!!!
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 am

will there be a place for lab slip scanning one day?

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:13 pm

You may be referring to something else (Lab Slip in Sheets??? or Lab Cases that track cases that are out to the lab) but in our office, we have created an Image Category Called: Lab Rx and we scan all of our hand written lab slips into Open Dental now. Original goes to the lab and the scanned copy is what we retain for our records. We find it easier to keep all lab rx's for the patient in one place. We use the lab tracking function in Open Dental but my staff use it more than I do -- not sure if scanning lab Rx and attaching it to the lab case tracking would work as well as just keeping them in images.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm

No, we probably won't have a special place for scanning lab slips. You can create lab slips electronically, so there's really no need to scan them. But EOBs still cannot be universally received electronically, so there is currently a need for scanning. Even more importantly, a single EOB applies to multiple patients. Lab slips only apply to one patient, so it works just fine to scan them into the images module. For lab slips, the higher priority is sending them electronically to the lab along with attached images.
Jordan Sparks, DMD