setting up reports

For users or potential users.
bonbon123

setting up reports

Post by bonbon123 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:50 am

We are looking into making the leap from PracticeWorks to Open Dental, but we are worried about the reporting features. I have downloaded the trial, which I, personally, am having a little trouble negotiating, but haven't been able to play with reporting. How difficult are reports to generate (end of day, end of month, AR, etc)? Any helpful hints for a newbie?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: setting up reports

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 am

Here are the reports:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/reports.html
It's very straightforward to generate them one at a time. What you might be missing is the automation that you are used to. You can't specify a list of reports ahead of time and expect them all to come out of the printer with a single click. We haven't caught up to PW in that area yet.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 am

Jordan, is that something on the list? It "seems" like it shouldn't be too hard.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:31 am

Sure, it's on the list, along with the other 2000 requests that aren't too hard either. But this one is a favorite of mine, and I have a feeling it will float to the top soon. Reporting frameworks are notoriously complex. We have about 6 different reporting frameworks currently in use, and we seem to add another one about once a year. No, the users are not generally aware of this. Users probably only notice two frameworks: the built-in reports and the queries. But my point is that we are constantly making major changes to reporting, and at some point, batched reports are bound to be included.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

JDs

Post by JDs » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:04 pm

PW has an amazing feature that gives the user the ability to create custom reports that generates a spreadsheet on demand. It's quite powerful and has allowed us to slice and dice the database and extract lots of useful information organized as we see fit. I can appreciate why a PW user would be asking about reports. Unfortunately, being a former programmer myself, I can also appreciate the world of product development in which you have multiple requests that need to be juggled with priorities. Best of luck!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:50 pm

What do you mean, "generate a spreadsheet on demand"? Is this a spreadsheet running inside PW or is it an Excel spreadsheet? If it's running inside PW, what makes it different from a table/grid? Did you really mean "spreadsheet", or was that your word for a read-only table/grid?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

bonbon123

Post by bonbon123 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for the tip, Jordan. We are still playing around with the program. The doctor is out next week, so we are going to get into it a little more. And thanks, too, to everyone for the quick responses!

sbgcd

Post by sbgcd » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 am

Jordan,
We are also evaluating the product and one feature in report are we are missing is DaySheet - which gives you overall idea of given days' charges (production / write off / insurance write off ) + insurance payments + daily deposits... Now in this tool we have multiple reports to look though it... Is there anywhere I can find daysheet kind of feature in OpenDental? Please advise.. Thank you.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:52 am

sbgcd wrote:Jordan,
We are also evaluating the product and one feature in report are we are missing is DaySheet - which gives you overall idea of given days' charges (production / write off / insurance write off ) + insurance payments + daily deposits... Now in this tool we have multiple reports to look though it... Is there anywhere I can find daysheet kind of feature in OpenDental? Please advise.. Thank you.
Doesn't the PRODUCTION AND INCOME - TODAY report give you what you want? What is missing from it?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429