password protect reports

For users or potential users.
steveng

password protect reports

Post by steveng » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:59 pm

It came to the point where we need to block some of our users from accessing certain reports such as production and income. This information shouldn’t be available to them in the first place. However, we still need to allow them to use list reports (b-days, appointments and etc.).

I see one feature is planned for P&I report to be password protected.

If reports could be category assigned on the security screen that could be controlled more easily.
Although, I'm not even sure what's involved from the programming perspectives.
Thanks,
Steven G.

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:01 pm

yes this should be something that can be done if you need it in your office.

But...I have to ask...why do you want to hide the P/I from your staff? I think the best way to motivate your staff to build your practice is to make them EARN it. When the office makes more, they make more. When the office makes less, than they make less or, if it goes to an extreme, they may loose their job if everyone is lazy and doesn't fill the book. They need to know what the goals are each month and be able to see what the P/I is so they can work accordingly. Thats the way it is for us as doctors and the staff should feel a similar pressure. But that is just my opinion.

but back to your question. We should be able to do that fairly easily. Jordan could probably give a better estimate of how hard it would be to implement security preferences on the P/I report.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jamesx2

Post by jamesx2 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:44 pm

The office I am working in currently has 6 dentists. Some of them are very funny about the staff knowing how much money they are producing (even though it shows on the schedular). They do not mind having an office goal each month as long as their personal production is not mentioned. I think they are afraid the staff will be able to figure out how much money they are making. I am a firm believer in office goals and the goals directly effecting the staff salary but it would still be nice to have the production reports protected so for those doctors that want to deceive themselves into believing the staff does not know what they are making.

These doctors do not even want the other doctors knowing what they are producing. It is a shame we could not have a place where each doctor can view his production numbers without seeing the other docs. This way they can view the production numbers to verify that everything was entered in correctly for the day. I currently have them scan down the schedule but this is only limited successful as some of them are old and not great with computers (they are depending on their nurses to enter data). I currently have one person in the office with the authority to run the reports print them off for the doctors each day (PIA- as you have to run each report individually).

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:46 pm

It's easy for us to add password protection specifically to P&I reports. What's harder, and what one user actually keeps requesting, is that dentists be blocked from seeing each other's P&I. But that's not what you're asking. Your request is easier. And no, we can't say when it will happen. We are putting out features at an unprecedented blazing pace. So it will happen at some point.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

steveng

Post by steveng » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 pm

It is really a personal preference. Not every office is comfortable to share the actual $ amounts with their employees as not all get the idea that there is also an overhead.

I understand that there are priorities. And this request is not a rush. However, keep it in mind if you come across the right spot in a code...

Love the software. Superb job.
Thanks,
Steven G.

Yorek

Other Security issues..

Post by Yorek » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Another security issue..

I don't know if this is already in place or on a short list, but..
with identity theft making the headlines almost every day,
Are there any plans to encrypt patients' Social Security and Credit card #'s?

No matter how hard we try, laptops get stolen, USB drives get lost and we even hire a bad person unknowingly.

I try not to think of the implications but if the worst happens..
We'd have to send out letters to all our patients telling them we goofed,
their id's are at risk and now we'd like to pay for 1year of subscription to one of those Credit agencies. Ugh.

Is it possible to require a password to allow
full access to: enter, view or change the entire numbers.
(encryption in the actual data base if feasible)

Once entered, only ******* and the last 3 or 4 digits can be seen for verification.
(internal office policies already 'persuade' users not to leave their active workstations un-attended).

It would save an incredible amount of money, time and anxiety if this info should ever become compromised.

I'm sure there are many ways to do it and your already keenly aware of the huge amount of programing needed.
But I just thought I ask.

Thanks again.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

This deserves a new topic. I will start it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com