Apixia Dental Sensors--- Affordable

For users or potential users.
Nate

Apixia Dental Sensors--- Affordable

Post by Nate » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 am

Just received a promotion from Apixia for #2 sensor, RINN Set, Hygienic Sheiths, USB Hub, and Software (unlimited users) for $3995? Anyone use them or know anything about the company? I wonder if they will integrate well with OpenDental? I will visit their booth at the ADA Meeting and see if I can find out any more info but thought someone else may have some insight?

teethdood

Re: Apixia Dental Sensors--- Affordable

Post by teethdood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Nate, did you stop by their booth at the C D A? what kind of sensor is it? I currently have XDR, needing another size 2 sensor. I know XDR supports e2v sensors but I don't know where to get them at besides XDR itself.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 pm

e2v is a wholesaler, and different e2v sensors may have entirely different specs. They are not necessarily interchangable. The place you will want to get your replacement sensor is from XDR unless you have some way of knowing that the new sensor will be compatible with the XDR software.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks Jordan. I'll do that, don't want to spend $4,000 on a tiny doorstop.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

Nate

Post by Nate » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 am

I havent seen the sensors yet but plan on visiting their booth at the upcoming dental meeting in Las Vegas (october). I am interested in knowing how it may integrate with opendental. I read somewhere that they use Apteryx and possibly a name grabber utility. I will report back on the quality of image, size and apparent durability after I see them. Anyone else know about them or their integration with OD?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:52 pm

No name grabber. The Apixia bridge is part of version 11.1.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

EagleRidge

Post by EagleRidge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 pm

I just recently acquired both Open Dental and an apixia sensor/software.
In the patient's "Images" section, if I click on "capture" this is the error message I get:

Failed to initialize Suni device. Please check that the device is properly connected to the computer. Specific error: System.Exception: Failed to open device for access. This usually happens when a Suni device does not have any drivers installed (see www.suni.com for driver downloads). The system cannot find the path specified.

at xImageDeviceManager.SuniDeviceControl.InitDevice(Boolean& firmwareUploaded)

This is Open Dental version 11.1.2.0

Do I just need to update or is something else the matter?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:56 pm

that is only for suni sensors. You need to set up a bridge with your images software and then you can capture x-rays
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:08 am

http://www.opendental.com/manual/programlinks.html
You won't use the capture button.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

EagleRidge

Post by EagleRidge » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:16 pm

does this link refer to using apertyx, or is it compatible with apixia at this time? i didnt see apixia anywhere

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:13 am

We have a bridge for Apixia. It's just not on that list yet. It's part of version 11.1.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 am

Did anyone check compatibility with XDR's capture software?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

You mean use the Apixia sensor with XDR software?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 am

Yes. If someone has a couple of XDR sensors and would like to add Apixia could they connect them use the XDR database? I am just wondering if someone who has both types tried this.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 am

XDR could easily answer that question.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 am

True, but in my experience manufacturers often have a pessimistic take on anything off the beaten track, especially when they made the track! Anyway, I know this is hardly the place to ask such a question but I thought maybe someone tried it.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:05 am

Following Jordan's suggestion I called both manufacturers (XDR and Apixia) and I must say there are some wonderful people in this business. XDR, whose system we use, discussed the matter with me at length, and even researched the Apixia website to help determine compatibility and then told me that there should be compatibility via our old friend, Twain which the XDR software supports. Thereupon I called Apixia and they researched the matter further and said that their Twain driver was in beta and not yet guaranteed to be 100% stable. Apixia also mentioned the downside of using their sensor even with a stable Twain driver. Evidently it would slow down the workflow because there would be dialog boxes in Windows that would have to be responded to. Finally Apixia said that while they stand behind their own sensor, XDR is also a fine company and we should stick with them if their system is working out for us. In this day of hard selling salesmen, I must say this experience has left me delighted and based on customer service, I would give both companies a glowing review.

Technical note: XDR did mention that any image acquired from an XDR manufactured sensor would be saved in a proprietary .xdr format while any image acquired via Twain (from another company's sensor or from an intraoral camera or scanner) would be stored as a .jpg or some other commonly used format. Both kinds of images, however, would be accommodated in the same XDR database.

Bottom line: Jordan was right. I should have called the manufacturer.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:10 am

Glad to hear your experience, Jay. Last week I spoke with Dexis -$17,500 for one sensor! Plus $1500/yr maintenance! I believe that I could purchase 2 or 3 XDR plus Apteryx at that price point. I think I will be going with XDR/Apteryx - although, how is the XDR software?
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 am

SOFTWARE
XDR does not use Apteryx but their own proprietary software.
Setup is easy but you must pay a $150 one time fee per workstation for the software license and $45 per month if you want phone support.
OD integration is seamless to the point of appearing to be a native feature of OD although Xray images are not organized or stored in the OD Images module but in XDR's own folder and Borland (UPDATE 2/12: they are switching to mySQL) database.
The software has a couple of idiosyncrasies:
1. It ordinarily runs in a sort of full screen mode. This is not an issue in the ops where you want the largest image size and black background. In the front desk though, this has necessitated a second monitor so that receptionists using NEA fastattach don't have to juggle too much whilst attaching an FMX. There is a floater mode if you want to drag a window from the main LCD to the patient LCD.
2. The other issue is that very rarely (once or twice a year), if the computer reboots with XDR running, we get a warning. The solution is to have XDR shut down before you leave for the day so that you don't face this problem when Windows Update reboots your workstations. Or you could switch off automatic updates.
Updating the software is neither as frequent nor as simple as OD. You must be guided by a tech although once they notice that you know what you are doing they let you finish on your own.
Phone support and customer service have both been excellent although OD still sets the gold standard for that. Once you get someone on the phone they are in no hurry to hang you up.

HARDWARE
Two sensors (one size 1 and one size 2) cost about 10,000 with a 2 year warranty. An additional $1200 buys you a 5 year Hardware Replacement Plant that lets you buy a replacement sensor for a discounted price. The longer you own the sensor the higher the replacement price is. If you accidentally ruin both your sensors in your fifth year you would pay less than $6500 to replace both. We've had two sensor replacements. Both were within the two year warranty period and malfunctioned not due to something we did so we spent nothing replacing them. XDR shipped replacements overnight together with a return shipping label for the broken sensor. Had it been our fault, we'd have paid $1490 for a Size 2 sensor or $1190 for a Size 1 in the first year.

If you get everything: 2 sensors, hardware replacement plans, software and support as a package you should wait for a dental convention as there are discounts (about $500) to be had.

Note: I cannot guarantee this information to be accurate so please call XDR to verify.

We are very happy with these guys.
Last edited by Jay on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 am

We have XDR, almost everything above is just like our experience, although we have never had any warning messages or whatever when rebooting like above. The software and the sensors work great...great image quality, great service and work great with OD. Best value and image in my opinion...ditch Dexis...WAY to expensive
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

irfan

Post by irfan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:39 pm

XDR has been great for us. we bought through Archer White and got the #1/#2 package which included 10 workstation licenses. we do pay the 45/mo right now, might drop that in the future since we havent had service issue in a long time. Usability is pretty straightforward.. a few too many clicks for my liking to do simple things like exit the program or open a new patient exam.

We use dual monitors throughout the whole office. Id recommend dual monitors on the front desk as well, they can be much more efficient and it will cost you $150 in equipment.