Yet another VPN question

For users or potential users.
Jay

Yet another VPN question

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:13 am

Is anyone here successfully using OD remotely using a VPN for security? If so, what combo of programs and settings is working for you?

packets

Re: Yet another VPN question

Post by packets » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 am

Jay wrote:Is anyone here successfully using OD remotely using a VPN for security? If so, what combo of programs and settings is working for you?
Are you trying to connect different networks together or remotely access a machine on your LAN to access OD?
VPN's (e.g., OpenVPN, IPSec) are generally used to connect networks in different physical locations and provide a secure connection between different gateway devices (i.e., router to router).
If you're wanting to remotely access OD there are several solutions (e.g., LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc.) which need little configuration, are very secure, and allow remote access to specific machine(s) within your LAN (i.e., computer to computer).
I would not recommend remotely accessing the server for security concerns, but accessing a workstation which runs the software is preferred.
Another question of concern is can you trust the machine(s) which will be remotely accessing your protected content? Home machines and portable devices (e.g., laptops, tablets, and smartphones) are a serious threat and higher risk of compromise (i.e., malware) due to their different use…
Untangle....Because nothing is worse than doing nothing!
http://www.untangle.com/

alhalwachi

Post by alhalwachi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Try Hamachi, it's cool!
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/
Once set up and you're connected to the remote host(you're clinic for instance), you may directly launch OD and connect to host name!

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 am

Thanks everyone. I am only interested in remote access. Hamachi sounds good but it is $200 a year for commercial use so I am wondering of there is any equivalent freeware out there. At this point there are so many subscriptions for so many things that adding another one is a drag. Anyway, if there is no choice it might be the answer.

sbgcd

Post by sbgcd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 am

LogmeInPro has the similar/More functionality... Are you looking this for yourself or your employees? If you providing this to your employees - is it privacy/HIPAA violence? Has anyone looked into it? :?: Thank you.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:56 pm

I use the Remote Desktop Connection built into Window XP and Windows 7. It doesn't cost anything. You work on the office computer's desktop through the internet. I don't have a static IP, but my IP rarely changes (only when I have to reboot the router which is rare). You can get your IP address from "whatismyip.com"
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429