Running OD on Mac

For users or potential users.
alhalwachi

Running OD on Mac

Post by alhalwachi » Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 am

Dear All

Can I run OD on Mac machines? how can i install OD on MAC machines? can i have a windows server running/hosting OD with MAC clients?

Please Advise

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Running OD on Mac

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 am

Search this forum for related discussions. Yes, VMware or Parallels.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes,

Do a search on this forum and look for user stjames70 (me). I think I have written in detail on my office set up. I will be glad to reply to any specific questions you might have after you read my posts.

Cheers :P

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Oops,

I did do a search, and I couldn't find my original post. So here it goes:

MacPro 16gb octocore running VMWare Fusion and using four cores to run XP Pro serving as the database repository. Seven iMacs and 4 Dells look to the MacPro for the database. Computers connected through AirPort Extreme 802.11n (I do not recommend this -- we are just waiting for the funds to hardwire the computers)

Well, does it work? Extremely well I would say. I use Remote Desktop from Apple to monitor and update all the computers (OD does the updates automatically, so it is not necessary, but I like to monitor activity in my office and make sure the machines are being properly utilized -- also, it saves me from walking up to the machine to control it -- I like sitting in my office and sipping my coffee while I fix computer problems)

Now, if you do have problems with your computers, you can probably hire some IT guy to solve them, but I manage all the computers in my office, and they rarely give me any problems. If one of your Virtual Machines (VMs) get infected, you can just toss it and copy from a master copy (you should create your ideal VM, save it somewhere like a nice, large thumb drive, and have it ready to upload to your iMacs when one of them gets infected -- after all, Windows is not known for being safe -- and I refuse to put antivirus software -- it will bog down any machine you have to a crawl)

Have fun setting up your office with Macs. I will never go back to Dell (everybody uses cheap components, but Dell has made an art of it) or any other Wintel box again. I use OD because frankly it is the best PM software out there. I forgot to tell you if you we use Dexis for radiographs, and it will work just fine with your iMacs as well.

alhalwachi

Post by alhalwachi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, really helpful Now, let me tell you my configuration.

I want to install OD on DELL SERVER Running Windows Server 2008 and then connect MAC Clients to the server. The way i understand it as follows:

1. I install OD on DELL Server as a FULL SERVER installation.
2. Using VMWARRE Fusion, i install "Windows 7" as a virtual operating system on Mac clients and then install OD as a workstation on them
3. Using launch option setup in VMWare, i run OD on clients and connect to my Server OD app

Kindly comment on the above, am i in the right direction?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:20 am

That sounds right to me.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 am

I had thought of installing a server as well, but you should know Windows 7 allows unlimited number of connections between computers inside the same family. Are you going to have your own email server/file server as well? And why are you using a Dell as your server? If it's because you already own it, great, but if you have not yet purchased it, Lion X which is coming out this month or next, has a built-in server and will run in any Mac hardware.

I don't see why you would run MacOSX at all on your iMacs if you won't have a Mac to control them. You might as well run Bootcamp and use your iMacs solely as Window machines. iMacs are a great form factor, and I have seen numerous institutions use iMacs simply because they were a great form factor. Windows will run much better on bootcamp rather than inside a virtual machine.

I don't know your exact needs or your current inventory -- it is just strange to me you would have a Windows server and iMac workstations -- it would be actually better if you had a Mac server and Windows workstations. Window machines are still currently the favorite target of hackers and having the ability to have a master copy of your virtual machine stored along with proper periodical backups would be the most stable configuration for anyone. In case the virtual machine you were running suddenly were infected or corrupted, all you would have to do would be to upload your master copy and have it ready to go within minutes instead of spending hours trying to clean up your Windows server.