Advice before I buy another printer?

For users or potential users.
cmruff

Advice before I buy another printer?

Post by cmruff » Wed May 25, 2011 7:05 am

Any help appreciated. I'm having nothing but trouble with my HP photosmart. It seems to lose its direction overnight every night. One day I can print normal sized xrays, the next day either postage stamp sized or smaller xrays automatically are printed. Now its jamming paper every day and time for a new one.
I've read what i can on this forum and people seem happy with Brother products. I don't want HP again. I like the idea of a scanner - are all in one machines a good idea or bad? Also, I see that many are wireless and I don't want wireless. There is some kind of interference in this office that screws up even the wireless mouse and keyboard and I'm always resyncing them; I don't want to add the printer to the resync list. I'm hoping most wireless products have a CAT5 networking capacity. Using Windows XP and EVA ProImage software.
So, anyone happy with their printer? Happy with a printer/scanner? Please let me know! Thank you so much.

drmaximus

Re: Advice before I buy another printer?

Post by drmaximus » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 am

I like the Epson Workforce 840 wireless inkjet and for scanning I use a Snap Scan by Fujitsu -- super fast and I just import the PDF files into opendental.

Hope this helps!

atd

Post by atd » Tue May 31, 2011 12:40 pm

I like the Brother MFC's - you can get most of them with wireless and ethernet cards. I too am steering clear of HP's after years of frustration.
The wireless connection in a printer is different than a wireless mouse and keyboard - once it's setup there's no resynching needed.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Ditto on the Brother Printers.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 am

I can't stand HPs, the way they sit there and make noise for 2 minutes before they finally spit out a page. Epson has the best feeders and best ink. Cannons have unnatural colors on photographs, too red. I've always considered Brothers to be the cheaply made alternatives.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cmruff

Post by cmruff » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks to all, we ended up with an Epson Workforce 635 and it's been running like a dream since day one. Next up is ditching the home HP - dumb buy, why did I ever change from Epson in the first place?

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

An old topic, but how do you feel about your printers now?

I have both an Epson workforce and HP 8500. I like the quality of both but it seems I am changing cartridges much more frequently with the Epson. I was trying to find some research on it but I'm guessing the cost per page for the Epson is higher than the HP. Any thoughts?

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

B/W: Get an old HP workhorse like Laserjet 4050DTN on a famous auction site. Amazing compared to modern printers and everything can be fixed by hand. You can take these apart and put together if need be. All toners can be non-HP.

Color: Brothers are the best. HL-3040CN is nice entry level color laserjet that uses chepaer LED technology. Refilling cartridges is an option.

Color Multifunction: MFC-9970CDW is the best. Refilling is an option but the printer is so nice I want to use original toner.

To print studio grade 4x6 photos use Dye Sublimation printers e.g. Canon Selphy. Great for giving closeups to patients or even small patient portraits.

Avoid Inkjets like poison unless you like printing glossy photos like large (bigger than 4x6) patient portraits. Too expensive and the ink is washable.

Label Printers: Brother or Dymo. Dymo Duo can print labels and postage so that is a plus and can also be set up as a network printer if you get a small additional part.