OD installation and Port 3306 - A very techy network problem

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

OD installation and Port 3306 - A very techy network problem

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

I stumped James, Clarissa and Stacy in support (sounds like a Family Feud episode for those of you in the know). But here's the issue:

Running Server 2003 with AVG antivirus
My workstations are all XP-Pro
Just purchased a Windows 7 tablet and installed Open Dental from the server as an administrator. I can't get past the 'Choose Database' Window.

Conventional OD wisdom is to open port 3306 for MYSQL on the server.... here's the problem:

The firewall is not active, AVG shouldn't be blocking it. I have no idea how to open this port. When I click the Windows firewall on Control Panel, I get the error message that another program is likely using ipnat.sys
(Ip native address translation). Also, AVG business edition does not have any place to open ports. Figuring it was AVG, I booted into safe mode and made sure that all of the AVG hook processes were not running - still couldn't open the firewall.

So several questions for you, the brightest of the bright:
1) Is there an easy way to manually open the port (I think I have been in the right plug-in, but stumped there). Can I ping the port from a workstation to find out its status?
2) Is there a setting in the MYSQL configuration that I may have missed?
3) Why does it do this on the Windows 7 tablet and not on any other workstation (wired and wireless?). IOW - could it be another problem beside the port?
4) I just installed a new switch - any chance that this is blocking it (shouldn't be because it works for all of the other workstations)
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

JimZ

Re: OD installation and Port 3306 - A very techy network problem

Post by JimZ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 pm

We had a similar problem with our new Windows 7 work station (unable to get past the choose database) and it was traced to me unfortunately setting up the new machine with a password. Some where in the setup we disabled the need for a password and magically it connected to the server. As I claim to be only a dim bulb, you have probably already checked this. :lol:

Jim

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Jim - I can be a dim bulb too. What program was the password associated with> MYSQL?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

The password was in the set up of Windows in the new workstation. For some reason, the server wouldn't let it connect until this was disabled. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jim

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 pm

It will be so great if it is that easy.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Rickliftig wrote:1) Is there an easy way to manually open the port (I think I have been in the right plug-in, but stumped there). Can I ping the port from a workstation to find out its status?
You could open up a command prompt (on the server) and type netstat -a | more, and see what it says for port 3306 (should say 'Listening')

Also, make sure that Windows Defender is not turned on (it has a nasty habit of turning itself on automatically). You can check by typing 'msconfig' in the Run box in windows. Turn it off if it's on (it's listed under 'Services' tab). While you're at it make sure Windows Firewall service is not running (also has a nasty habit of turning itself on when it shouldn't :mrgreen: ). If you need help finding those settings let me know...

Oh, and one other thing I just thought of. I have had fits trying to get clients connected via a wireless router to not be blocked by our firewall. I've never been able to figure this out to this day. Maybe check and see if your wireless router doesn't have it's own firewall that might be turned on by default.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 am

Closer, but not there yet...

Bill is onto the problem.

Port 3306 is 'listening' on the server - hooray - that was a red herring.
Windows 7 did surreptitiously turn on the Firewall and Defender - I turned these off through MSCONFIG
And there was a firewall on the wireless, but even when I put the ethernet cable to work, there is still a blockage.

I'm thinking that I'm missing something with this tablet...

Thank you Bill for your insight!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 am

SUCCESS!

The final piece of the puzzle was provided by James in support.

Instead of entering "localhost" in the Database Identification field, I entered the ip address of the server.

Since my ip's are dynamically allocated, it will probably be a good idea to assign a static address to the server

I will save this thread as this may be happening more often when offices switch to Windows 7 on a mixed network.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net