Tablet PC for Open Dental

For users or potential users.
jagstang

Tablet PC for Open Dental

Post by jagstang » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:46 am

Is there a recommended tablet PC (where the patient can sign everything they need to sign on the screen) that works best with open dental? Which tablets haver reportedly worked great for users? I would like to get a tablet with a stylus rather than 1 tablet and 4 topaz signature pads if possible. ( The office will be a small 3 chair office start up). I don't want to have to scan anything. Just a wireless tablet with stylus that works the best.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Tablet PC for Open Dental

Post by jordansparks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Make sure the screen resolution is at least 1024x768.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Roy Bloom

Post by Roy Bloom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:12 am

HP makes an inexpensive one with a touch screen Touchsmart tm2....I am using it now but it is not rugged enough to hall all over Houston.
[img]C:\Users\Roy%20Bloom%20DDS\Pictures\Roy.jpg[/img]

Roy Bloom DDS
General Dentist Providing IV Sedation and Oral Surgery for Your Patients at Your Practice.

http://sedationoncall.com
http://drbloom.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am

Roy - the medical grade GD-3000 from ebay will fit your bill - Now that I am getting the issues with Windows 7 cleared up, it looks like a winner.

Again - New T1Y (twinhead type) tablet with 64gb solid state drive, two gigs memory, docking station, two batteries, barcode reader, onboard camera, ruggedized for $455. comes with Windows 7 (an official version with COA)

Search on ebay for medical tablet, or Itronix tablet. - $455 plus shipping. I ordered the extra USB/Smart Card add-on to use with an intr-oral camera and that is on its way to working.

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 am

Hi Rick. Are the Windows 7 issues pertaining to Open Dental all resolved? I dont need IOC or DDS-GP to run. Just want it to be a mobile OD Kiosk. Thanks.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Jay - the issues are ONLY between Windows 7 and my Server 2003 based network. Open Dental runs fine on Windows 7. I may just consider changing the OS on the server to Windows 7 in order to simplify my future installations.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:45 am

Do you think Windows Server 2008 R2 would have similar issues?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:42 am

I think the problem is having the mixed generation operating systems. This was a problem with Windows 98 v. Windows xp. I suspect that if it is all the same, there are no issues. Funny thing is you never hear about network issues from Apple users.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

djanash@mac.com

Post by djanash@mac.com » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 am

Just came back from my local electronics megastore and saw something called a ViewPad 10, by viewsonic.. Run android and Windows 7
Any oe using this or KIOSK with OD?

Im thinking KIOSK/Tablet High-Resolution 1024 x 600 Pixels

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 am

No, don't get an Android. Get a Windows Tablet PC. And the resolution you gave is not high enough. Needs to be at least 1024x768. If you use an Android, all you're going to be able to do is to load LogMeIn onto it and use it as a dumb remote client for a real PC.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 am

Update on my Medical Tablet:

The bugs are pretty much worked out. Open Dental is working fine. The screen is nice and bright. I almost have the camera up and running, but still need to set a parameter to make it capture stills (haven't figured that out). I like the handle - it feels rugged - and I like the stylus. So far it seems to be a good fit - gotta keep playing with the details.

The Ipad is sexy - this is practical.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 am

Itronix GD3000
I got one and it works pretty nice.

Only problem I have is that it will not default to the wifi on when turning on or coming out of sleep? Do you have this problem too? It was originally setup to defualt to 3G. Any Help with this bug?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 am

I disabled the 3G - easy enough. It's working very smoothly now - crisp and nice display. The docking station release drove me crazy for the first day. You have to press function and enter. Still trying to figure an easy way to map the three function keys - the require .dll's to work.

Next step is to get the ioc working well - it shows video but can't get a still capture easily (sucky Chinese software)

I have ordered an EyeFi card so that my clinical camera will go right to the tablet.

Then I'll figure out what sort of Patient education I want to put on it.

I like the ruggedness of it - feels like a Fisher-Price toy! Very smooth overall.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

djanash@mac.com

Post by djanash@mac.com » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Is it possible this not available on e-bay?
I tried to do to a search and nothing, where can I find one. Link?

Thanks in advance

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't see any reasonably priced ones as of tonight, but why don't you setup and e-bay search for medical tablet and one for itronix and see ff more are posted. They must have sold pretty well because there were several dozen available about two weeks ago.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Rick,
I disabled the 3G adapter in the network connections, but still it doesn't default to connect to my wifi (after every boot and sleep) unless I press the "3" button on the lower right. (If I do that the wi-fi icon changes from blue to green and connects) I take it yours does not do this and stays connected to your wifi even after sleep?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:03 am

Funny thing David -

That's how mine was working until I installed Win 7 sp1 and countless updates (countless updates!!!!). I'm pretty sure that it works like you would expect now, or I've gotten into the habit of pressing button #3.

best,

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Installed an eye-fi card in my camera - works great. I no longer have to hook up a usb cable to transfer pics.... so this will be picked up by the tablet - the patinet can hold the tablet in tehir hand and I can show them a slide show.

Still on the todo list - ioc and patient education. I'll leave it for next week. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday - whichever one you'd like!

best,
Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks to your glowing praise Rick, I just bought one of these. Have a great holiday.

irfan

Post by irfan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:09 am

rick- how fast does that come out of sleep mode/hibernate mode? I have a Fujitsu Stylistic and it works ok, but i never use the thing because its a little too slow and the wireless connectivity is spotty after sleep mode. then again it was only $250. I also really dont like that it ONLY works with the stylus or keyboard, no finger input. Also it came with XP which is too cumbersome to use after using 7 for the last couple years.

Does the finger input work well on yours? I need that because when i turn it on and just want to click a few things to get into the screen i need, i dont want to have to get the stylus out, and the onscreen keyboard would be quicker to use without having to get the stylus out. fingerprint reader is cool tho.

Last thing- how is the weight of it? And are those membrane type keys on the side? They customizable so one button can launch OD, one button bring up the keyboard, etc?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:22 am

irfan wrote:rick- how fast does that come out of sleep mode/hibernate mode? I have a Fujitsu Stylistic and it works ok, but i never use the thing because its a little too slow and the wireless connectivity is spotty after sleep mode. then again it was only $250. I also really dont like that it ONLY works with the stylus or keyboard, no finger input. Also it came with XP which is too cumbersome to use after using 7 for the last couple years.

Response is very snappy as is coming out of hibernation

Does the finger input work well on yours? I need that because when i turn it on and just want to click a few things to get into the screen i need, i dont want to have to get the stylus out, and the onscreen keyboard would be quicker to use without having to get the stylus out. fingerprint reader is cool tho.

I think I may have to tweak it to read a fingertip better, BUT I was recording a perio charting with my hyg the other day and the stylus is perfect for that - much better than a finger. Open Dental runs very nicely on this tablet

Last thing- how is the weight of it?

fairly light and comfortable - the handle and contours are nice - it feels solid and is ruggedized.

And are those membrane type keys on the side? They customizable so one button can launch OD, one button bring up the keyboard, etc?

I'm working on making them accessible - there is an included config utility, but it looks for a .dll - Keyboard scanners pick up the keys easily and I just downloaded a re-mapper utility that I will play with over teh next few weeks

I like this tablet a lot more than my Motion LE1700 - And as much as I like the Ipad, the big Ipad limitations are: lack of a usb port, tough to type on, incompatibility with Windows (need to run Virtual Machine), will not play flash media - "

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:24 am

Jay wrote:Thanks to your glowing praise Rick, I just bought one of these. Have a great holiday.
Jay - I wish I could sell my dentistry as easily <G>!

(But Doc - let's just patch it for now :P )

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Roy Bloom

Post by Roy Bloom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:25 am

Rickliftig wrote:Roy - the medical grade GD-3000 from ebay will fit your bill - Now that I am getting the issues with Windows 7 cleared up, it looks like a winner.

Again - New T1Y (twinhead type) tablet with 64gb solid state drive, two gigs memory, docking station, two batteries, barcode reader, onboard camera, ruggedized for $455. comes with Windows 7 (an official version with COA)

Search on ebay for medical tablet, or Itronix tablet. - $455 plus shipping. I ordered the extra USB/Smart Card add-on to use with an intr-oral camera and that is on its way to working.

best,

Rick
Does it come with gorilla glass and can you drop in on the floor? When you load all my eqipment and thow it in the back of a truck it has to be rugged. I dropped my AED Thursday. At least it was not the 02 tank. Thx for the suggestion I will look it up.
[img]C:\Users\Roy%20Bloom%20DDS\Pictures\Roy.jpg[/img]

Roy Bloom DDS
General Dentist Providing IV Sedation and Oral Surgery for Your Patients at Your Practice.

http://sedationoncall.com
http://drbloom.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:34 am

Roy - it is marketed as a ruggedized tablet for the medical market. Can be wiped down with disinfectant and has a solid-state drive. I'm not joking about it felling like a Fisher-Price "Lil' Tykes" toy - and I mean that as a compliment. So yes, you could probably drop it and it would survive. Here's a link:
http://rugged.gr/0fls/c1.asp?subid=195& ... 9&l=2&la=1

And I just found it: Rated for a three foot drop - so any higher than that and you're on your own.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

irfan

Post by irfan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:33 pm

i'll definitely look into this thing. if its easily wipeable and the assistants can use it for charting w/gloves thats a big bonus. Looks like it takes care of the faults w/ the Fujitsu. How long is your realistic battery life, and how long does it take to get up to speed from hibernate? Id want to use hibernate instead of sleep since im sure id forget to plug it in often.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I think battery life is about three hours. They come with a docking station so it is always recharged. You can also plug a couple of more batteries into the dock so they will always be charged (hot swappable). Recovery from sleep/hibernation is very quick - i haven't timed it, but smooth enough so that I don't mind.

I was just playing with it a few minutes ago and will probably capture the ioc with that old reliable utility 'snag-it' - I guess I'll have to purchase a copy for once!

Also, I remapped the number one key to "prtscreen" which is the snag-it capture button. Ideally, the camera button would be picked up, but this is an HK (Hong Kong) special from e-bay.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:55 pm

What batteries does it use? Aren't these proprietary and hard to find? if not, a second set is a great idea.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Jay wrote:What batteries does it use? Aren't these proprietary and hard to find? if not, a second set is a great idea.
Jay - it took a little time to find it. But, there are a lot of listings under Panasonic CF-H1. I found batteries at Mac Connection for $105.99

This tablet is manufactured by a Taiwan Company - Twinhead - model T10y and is relabeled as the Panasonic CF-H1; General Dynamics GD3000; Itronix GD3000

Rick

PS - i had much better luck finding the battery by its part # 23+050630+01 - they run abt $100
Last edited by Rickliftig on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:59 pm

You really are amazing. At the back of mind I kept thinking these guys are liquidators so no way they can supply batteries in future.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 pm

It's my radio ham/electronics surplus background - I'm a finely honed scrounger...

Who needs duct tape? I have Methyl Methacrylate at my disposal!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm

http://www.twinhead.com.tw/product_detail.php?pid=20

Twinhead website with docs and spec

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Lol. Thanks.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Rick, do you have a link to a PDF manual.

Also, they sold me one without a docking station as they are sold out of these. Any leads.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Manual and other docs.

http://www.twinhead.com.tw/product_detail.php?pid=20

jay re: the docking station, you might want to query the ebay seller you bought from or other over the next few weeks and I'll bet they can get you one. It's not essential, but very handy. One note, to release the laptop from the docking station, you have to have function mode on and you press the enter button (the middle of the joystick). I have found the usb port to be very handy also.

So - I am using it for the ioc - I have the patient hold the laptop while I get the picture. I have used a key remapper utility to capture the video stream with 'Snaggit and button #1'. Of course, I am using it for OD. And my regular camera has an eye-fi (wifi) card that uploads directly to it. Patients do like holding onto the tablet and for those without the best eyesight it's a lot clearer. Unlike the Windows XP tablet, this one runs, opens and closes faster and more predictably.

I have read up on, but not tried to use the barcode reader, etc. I don't think the onboard camera has very good resolution, either, I would rather use my point and shoot.

best,

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks. I dont have a USB port but the seller is sending me a white card reader with a USB port. Does this have an SDHC card reader or do you plug that into the USB port?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

The port and card reader attach to the bottom of the unit - works fine - will read credit cards too.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 am

Update - Had a patient sign a consent form, had my asst. perio chart and showed another patient her before and afters (that were uploaded from the camera with an eye-fi card).

It's working very smoothly - one bug, however - DirectX is not up and running and I did want to show that graphic perio chart. I showed the patient the chart on the side monitor anyway (one per op)

I like the tablet concept a lot more than a two monitor setup - it's simpler and the patient can hold on to it.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jagstang

Post by jagstang » Sun May 15, 2011 8:21 am

Hi all --

What do you think of this?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd

It has a 10.1 inch display (1366x768)

Would this work???
Anyone get it yet??

I will use just for patients to enter their info and sign. (stylus sold separately)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 am

Yes, that will work nicely. I'll probably get one. I'd rather have the $2000 Toshiba because it comes with a 13" screen, but that's a big price jump.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

irfan

Post by irfan » Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am

i like that Dell. Ive been waiting on the Samsung Sliding PC 7 b/c I like the idea of the sliding keyboard vs the dell flip system, but this is cheaper and actually available.

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Very slick. Just saw it on Costco's website for even cheaper, plus they have great customer service and warranty. Wish it had a larger screen, though. I am a fan of these tablet pc's because way faster typing on a keyboard. Plus many parents are not so tech savvy, and we don't have time for tutorials when using as a kiosk.

instrumentek

Post by instrumentek » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:05 am

Hi guys, thanks to the good reviews i just bought the T10Y tablet on EBAY. I just got it and everything seems to work OK. Except the sound it is always really quiet, i can only hear it if i put my ear directly on the holes on the back of the unit. does anyone else have this problem or a solution? I have made sure all my sliders are at max. i have also downloaded the driver and reinstalled it with the same results. Any help would be apprecated.