Problem downloading updates

For users or potential users.
Pruce Dental

Problem downloading updates

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Jordan...

Ever since probably version 7.6 I am having problems updating OD. I called support once or twice about the problem. They told me that it was probably a permission issue and that I needed to do my updates as administrator. They also said to check with my hardware tech support. My hardware tech support (also a reseller of OD but I am on your support plan) said they had no idea why my downloads wont work a lot of times. Both your support and my hardware tech support have seen the problem and neither are seeing my issue with other customers so I figured I would ask you directly.

After I start the download I get a message saying that my download succeeded and to click ok to install. Then I get a pop up box saying "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation." . then I get a "Winrar self extracting archive" box that says "extracting OpenDental.msi CRC failed in OpentalDental.msi"

after getting booted out of Open dental I can try over and over to update without success then magically it downloads ok...

I have tried removing the setup file from the A to z folder prior to redownloading and clearing my temporary internet folders.

Any reason or ideas why I am the only one experiencing this issue?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

nathansparks

Re: Problem downloading updates

Post by nathansparks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:49 am

I am not sure why an MSI is involved at all. Do you have the 'show buttons for MSI' checkbox checked in help>update>setup? Next time you update, try it with me. My hours are 9-5 pacific, but I can always stay late. Email me at nate.sparks@opendental.com so we can set up an appointment or call our main number and ask for Nathan.

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 am

Nathan...

I am currently on the lastest OD beta version. It took about 5-10 attempts to download and install when I did it. Before I do another update I will call and ask for you. I don't have the MSI checkbox checked btw.
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm

As an update for anyone reading this thread...

I called Open Dental and spoke with Nathan...He actually spent an hour on the phone with me checking my server to find out why mine was having problems installing an update. We think the problem is now solved but will be sure after doing a couple more updates. He also updated my mysql to the latest version.

Thanks for all of your time today and going well beyond the call of duty.
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com