Database Access

For users or potential users.
dentistglen

Database Access

Post by dentistglen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

After I did a backup a new database was created. How do I access the old database. Before logging in, Open Dental lets me choose the database, but on one of the computers it does not. I input the server path and then the next box lets me choose the database. Thanks

jclaydds

Re: Database Access

Post by jclaydds » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 am

Go to File | Choose Database. There is a box (option) on this screen to allows you to check or uncheck if you want to see this screen each time you log on to Open Dental. I have it checked so I don't see the screen each time but realize that I can manually always go to File | Choose Database if I want to select another database.

If you are opening a database that resides locally on your hard drive, you must choose the database from a computer that is set up to work as a "server" as far as the Open Dental installation. If your computer was set up during the intallation as a "work station" in Open Dental, I am pretty sure that you won't be able to select a local database and run it from the "work station" computer. If you are using a work station computer and trying to open another data base on your server, I would think you would be fine. Hope this makes sense.

Jeff

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 am

Follow up to Post.

There is currently a reference to this feature ( File | Choose Database ) on the Bug list and a soon to be release concerning this feature on Version 7.7 and 7.8. It says this feature is "not reliable and will be disabled" ??? I suggest you contact Open Dental Tech Support for further explanation.

Jeff

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Right. For technical reasons, it has become harder to allow switching. It's safer to shut down OD and then open from scratch.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm

In the new version how will you switch databases if you've checked the box not to prompt for the database on startup?

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 am

There will always be an option to turn off the 'do not show window on startup' while logged in to Open Dental, then restart. YOu can do this now, and you will be able to in the future.

A very nice feature would be to be able to specify the database as a command line argument so you could have icons for different databases.