emailing from within OD

For users or potential users.
babysilvertooth

emailing from within OD

Post by babysilvertooth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:36 am

I have set up email to email from within OD< but it doesn't actually send the email. It shows in commlog that an email has been sent, but it hasn't....

babysilvertooth

Re: emailing from within OD

Post by babysilvertooth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:36 am

Never mind, figured it out.....

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:32 am

when you send an email, what does the senders name show up as in the recipients mailbox?

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:20 pm

irfan wrote:when you send an email, what does the senders name show up as in the recipients mailbox?
In the "Email Setup" window you set up the Sender's e-mail address.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

irfan

Post by irfan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 am

Ive set the senders email address... but in the inboxes where it would normally show a first/last name like "Irfan Khan" it doesnt, just the first part of the email address. In email clients like outlook, etc, you set what you want your name to displayed as, i dont see that option.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:35 pm

irfan wrote:Ive set the senders email address... but in the inboxes where it would normally show a first/last name like "Irfan Khan" it doesnt, just the first part of the email address. In email clients like outlook, etc, you set what you want your name to displayed as, i dont see that option.
You are correct. You don't have an option to set a "Name" in OD. Your e-mails will show as coming from whatever your actual e-mail address is. If you don't like that and you want something more identifiable, sign up for a free gmail account and choose a readily identifiable address, like DrIrfan@gmail.com. Then use that e-mail address for sending all your OD mail.
Another advantage is that you will have a separate e-mail box with only your sent OD mail.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

irfan

Post by irfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Ya thats how we have it now... but it would show up as "drirfankhan" ... still looks pretty unprofessional... it wont even shwo the "@gmail" or "@polarisdentalcare.com" (my polarisdentalcare.com is thru gmail apps)

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:57 pm

irfan wrote:Ya thats how we have it now... but it would show up as "drirfankhan" ... still looks pretty unprofessional... it wont even shwo the "@gmail" or "@polarisdentalcare.com" (my polarisdentalcare.com is thru gmail apps)
I'm not sure why your e-mails don't show the @gmail part of the address. Mine do. Another suggestion would be to try changing your e-mail address to Dr.Irfan.Khan@gmail.com or Dr_Irfan_Khan@gmail.com. That might look better, especially if it retains the upper-case letters.

BTW, did you set up your e-mail from OD to use the smtp server: smtp.gmail.com, or are you using another smtp server. I am using smtp.gmail.com and I get my full e-mail address including the @gmail.com.
My setup is as follows:
smtp server: smtp.gmail.com
username: xyz@gmail.com
password: ***********
Port: 587
Use SSL: checked
E-mail address of sender: xyz@gmail.com
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 pm

I did do that.. but I will change my gmail names to have a capital letter and try that out

edit: created a new user "PolarisDentalCare@polarisdentalcare.com" With first name Polaris last name Dental Care... inbox name shows as "polarisdentalcare". not good, but acceptable.