Multiple Locations

For users or potential users.
B.Thomas

Multiple Locations

Post by B.Thomas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I am considering opening a second office and am overwhelmed by the choices in the manual;

http://www.opendental.com/manual/multiplelocations.html

I like the replication option as it would ensure continuity if there was an internet problem, but it seems complicated.

Which is the most common option used for multiple office?

Which is the easiest option?

Which is the most reliable option?

Thanks,

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Locations

Post by jordansparks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:07 pm

There are tradeoffs with every single option. The only way to pick is to learn more about them. Maybe try some of them out from home. Terminal is the fastest, but might not work well with image bridges. Replication does seem to be too complex for most offices. Simple direct connection over VPN might be tolerable. For example, you could mix that with terminals on some workstations.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

smileyguy

Post by smileyguy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I have two office locations (same corporation). Currently we are using Remote Desktop Connection to access our main office.
However we want to use Replication method of managing both office but still keep the production/collection numbers separate for tracking and management purposes. My IT guy is coming next Thursday to determine what is needed. Has anyone here tried this?

Is Replication is the way to go for my scenario?

I know OD has a Locations or Clinic feature but not sure how this ties into Replication. Can we share one schedule for both offices using different chairs for each office but have a separate database for patients (default is main office) but we can chose our other Clinic. Note that I already setup Clinic feature to have both offices.

When doing this, can we print locally in each office? Currently with Remote Desktop Connection my staff is frustrated in the satellite office because when they print something it prints in the main office when they are sitting in the satellite office.

Thank you.

atd

Post by atd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 am

Currently with Remote Desktop Connection my staff is frustrated in the satellite office because when they print something it prints in the main office when they are sitting in the satellite office.
You should be able to setup local printing for your remote offices. We have a similar setup - 5 clinics on 1 database, 4 remote offices accessing via terminal server (Windows Server 2008 R2). Depending on what version of terminal server you're using, there is an easy print driver which should automatically detect the local printers of the remote users. However, we found that using the easy print driver was extremely slow, which caused the print preview in Open Dental to be very slow also - so it's better to install the drivers on the server that you use at the remote offices. Make sure in your Open Dental printer setup that it prompts for the printer to use, or uses the default - don't set specific printers in Open Dental on your terminal server.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm

We don't recommend replication. It sounds like you currently have two separate databases? If so, then one option is for us to combine those into one database for you as a mini-conversion. Then, you would have the database at just one location and you would always remote in from the other office.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm

The Easy Print feature in 2008 R2 can be buggy sometimes. I found out that still have to map drivers and printer like in the old days. By far the best solution is to use TSPrint from Terminal Works. It will save you a lot of frustration and time :D

Sharing is caring !
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 am

What are the thoughts on using a laptop as a server and physically taking it with you? I will be running a one doc, two location setup. What problems might we encounter? Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:02 am

That should work just fine. Who carries the laptop around? That person had better not be late in the morning or need to leave quickly at the end of the day. Obviously, use Windows to encrypt the mysql folder. There are not good instructions for that in our manual yet. Another option would be to take an Apricorn hardware encrypted hard drive back and forth. It would connect directly to the server at each location. That would be an easier way to solve the encryption problem and it would also be lighter. I LOVE my Apricorn hard drive. Haven't had time to add that to the manual either.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:29 pm

jordansparks wrote: Another option would be to take an Apricorn hardware encrypted hard drive back and forth. It would connect directly to the server at each location. That would be an easier way to solve the encryption problem and it would also be lighter. I LOVE my Apricorn hard drive. Haven't had time to add that to the manual either.
That's interesting. Is that a USB 3.0 or SATA hot swap? I was thinking about using a Solid State SATA drive, but wasn't sure if I could host the operating system on that drive. If not I am worried my staff might have problems starting and stopping MySQL.

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:58 am

I have another question regarding multiple offices. If I choose to use only one database for the different locations, what is the best way to identify which office each patient is seen at? A new patient field? Secondary provider?

I would like for the identification to show up on the appointment book for easy identification.

atd

Post by atd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm

In Setup->Show Features, check the "Clinics (mutliple office locations)" box. Then you add each clinic under Lists->Clinics, which will allow you to assign a clinic to patients and also to operatories. Scheduling an appointment in a particular operatory will automatically assign the appointment and production to that clinic, even if the default clinic for a patient is a different one.