Voice Recognition

For users or potential users.
Anthony J Turner

Voice Recognition

Post by Anthony J Turner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:58 pm

I have just finished setting up voice precognition for periodontal probing. It far excedded my expectation
I am using Deagon Naturally speaking Preferred. Just to make thing interesting I set it up with a mobile Bluetooth headset. Jabra 250v. After getting the the headset installed (very easy) I set the sound and voice under Control Panal to use the Bluetooth audio ( not the stero, just the mono). The DNS has to be set for Bluetooth during set up and it was straight forward from there. The surprising part was after traing I went to the perio chart, added a charting session, set the cursor at the starting point said "enter data" and then started calling numbers. It recognized them immediatly. Thats not all. After saying the number say bleeding, suppuration, calculus or plaque and it marks it. I am impressed! I have been working on and wanting voice perio charting for 10 years and have tried various systems but this takes the cake. Excellent work Dr Sparks. Now I have to train my hygentist

DrT

Post by DrT » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:52 pm

It would be nice if we were able to chart treatments with voice recognition (i.e. Tooth #3 MOD amalgam filling). Dr. Spark, would this be a future function in OD? The mouse and the DA would not be needed for treatment planning.

DrT
"The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth."

asanders

Post by asanders » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:17 pm

That sounds cool. Would you need a headset per room? Could I also use this for treatment notes? Just curious.

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 am

I am trying to work thrrough the bugs of wearing a Bluetooth headset and connecting in each room. I need to get the system set up for hygiene compeleted and the hygentist trained first. I currrently do my dictation in my office so there is no problem. The next step is to have it for each operatory.

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:30 pm

I believe that Windows Vista comes packaged with voice recognition software. Does any body know if it really works, since I don't have vista yet?

Since we are all going to upgrade to Vista eventually, it would be nice not having to purchase Dragon or any other speech software.

Also, I understand that voice recognition software comes with microsoft office products such as Word 2002 or 2007. This works with Windows XP. Has anybody tried this?

Dr. Neelley

dand

voice recognition - perio charting

Post by dand » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:27 am

Has anyone been successful with voice recognition for perio charting?
I would love to implement this in my practice.
Dr Turner, any success with your system?

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:43 pm

I use it in hygiene, Need to upgrade the CPU to make it work smoother. More than functional at this point. I use Dragon software. Tips to improve accuracy. Group numbers per tooth, don't say individually. Dictate in bleeding, suppartion , plaque, calculus seperately. When you want them to be identified with location on tooth say right before the number. Kind of difficult with bleeding points and supperation. No complaints.