The signature box at the end of a clinical note

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

The signature box at the end of a clinical note

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 am

I just noticed one can actually draw letters in this box. I was wondering if it would be possible to actually be able to just click in a signature so one wouldn't have to try to draw it in??

irfan

Re: The signature box at the end of a clinical note

Post by irfan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:33 am

if you are just clicking then you cant verify that you actually signed it yourself... you could add an autonote to click for your initials to go in the note automatically, but i would think that you would want your own unique signature so no one forges your name.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 am

How can this be done?

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 am

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:12 am

OMG -- here is my only problem with Open Dental right now........THERE IS TOO MUCH FUNCTIONALITY!!!!! :lol:

Of course, I am kidding, but only partly. This program is so amazingly powerful in what it allows you to customize and set up compared to anything I've ever seen before, I just don't have all the time to sit down and learn all of it and set it all up!

I had no idea of these "Prompts" until right now, and I'm just barely starting to read them, but HOT DAMN, these look sweet!

irfan

Post by irfan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 pm

oh yes the prompts are great, especially the multiprompts.. you can set it up so they go in the order of the appointment and make it pretty idiot proof for your assistants. takes a dozen clicks or so, bu no typing needed on their part, and you can make sure they never miss a step.

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

What REALLY makes the auto notes/prompts combinations is when you have fill-ins, and you want to make sure they can do the notes and get all the details necessary. My hygienist has been out for 2 weeks with personal issues, and my assistant has been out for almost 3 weeks because of a broken ankle, PLUS we just hired a new Treatment Coordinator........needless to say, it's been tough making sure everyone knows what info needs to be gathered, and I have been helping everywhere needed, but I"m a bit behind on my notes. Now, it's easy to show the fill-in employees how to do it, and they do it so easily. And for me, it's making it easier to catch up -- at least, AFTER I get the prompts all set-up, which is the most time-consuming part of it, 'cause I'm also working on the Procedure Buttons to make charting super easy.

god I love this program!

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:42 am

Still don't get the signature thing. I would really like to just be able to right click the signature box at the end of an autonote and add my signature that way, as of right now I just draw in my initials.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:05 pm

fishdrzig wrote:Still don't get the signature thing. I would really like to just be able to right click the signature box at the end of an autonote and add my signature that way, as of right now I just draw in my initials.
Fishdrzig:
When you were entering your notes with pen and paper, your handwriting and the ink could be analyzed by forensic experts to prove that you did or didn't write something at a particular time. With typed notes that is more difficult.
For medico-legal reasons you want to be able to prove that you wrote a particular note at a particular time and it was never altered.
The key words are "be able to prove." Hopefully you will never have to.
The best proof you can have is your unique signature on a signature pad that records pressure and speed, like the Topaz pads that you can purchase from OD.
I sign my full signature on all important procedure notes. Unimportant ones I just put my initials.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 am

How do these pads work?

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:43 pm

fishdrzig wrote:How do these pads work?
Here's everything you wanted to know about electronic signature systems:
http://www.topazsystems.com/information ... Tguide.pdf
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:21 am

Can a Wacom Bamboo tablet be used for these signatures, or just a Topaz signature pad? We are currently using ePads that we got from MedicTalk DentForms - can they be used? I'd really rather not spend more money for something we already have, but obviously, I do want to get on the ball with this. Thanks!

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 am

Here's everything you wanted to know about electronic signature systems:

Thanks for the link - so I guess the Topaz unit will give us the legal signature we need? Makes me think that all the time I have been using OD and just putting my initials in the box is essentially not legal.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Smilesbypayet wrote:Can a Wacom Bamboo tablet be used for these signatures, or just a Topaz signature pad? We are currently using ePads that we got from MedicTalk DentForms - can they be used? I'd really rather not spend more money for something we already have, but obviously, I do want to get on the ball with this. Thanks!
I bought and tried the Bamboo - didn't work right. I had to put tape around the area of the Bamboo that corresponded to the signature box, otherwise the signature would be outside of the box. But since the Bamboo pad represents your entire screen, if the signature box is in a slightly different position on the screen, the signature wouldn't line up right. It was a pain in the you know what. Don't bother with it.
The Topaz pads aren't that expensive. I started with one, and keep adding more for different rooms. I am up to 5 already.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

fishdrzig wrote:Here's everything you wanted to know about electronic signature systems:

Thanks for the link - so I guess the Topaz unit will give us the legal signature we need? Makes me think that all the time I have been using OD and just putting my initials in the box is essentially not legal.
It's not that you were doing anything illegal. You just weren't protecting yourself, medico-legally, as much as you could have been.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234