Insurance Payment Plans

For users or potential users.
atd

Insurance Payment Plans

Post by atd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 am

Today I setup my first payment plan for insurance. After entering the payment plan the patient balance ended up being negative. The only way to correct it was to zero out the insurance estimates on the outstanding claims. Is that the correct process or am I doing something wrong?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Insurance Payment Plans

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 am

We need a step-by-step tutorial. I'm not sure without looking at what you did. I'm also not sure that our staff would be able to spot the problem immediately. If you can't figure it out, I'll have someone do a tutorial.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Re: Insurance Payment Plans

Post by atd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:01 am

It looks to me like even though the payment plan is marked for insurance, it's subtracting from the patient balance. But that is already happening because of the insurance estimates on the claim. The only way I could get the patient balance to be correct was to zero out the insurance estimates on the claim. Now when the insurance payments are posted the manual states I'll have to delete that portion of the payment plan.

I think a much simpler solution (instead of ins. payment plans) would be to change the status of the claim back to "sent" (not received) and have that result in the ins estimate, minus what's already been paid subtracting from the account balance. Currently if any of the lines are marked received the balance due goes to the patient, no matter what the status of the claim is. Just a thought - that's how it worked in our old system.