Connect remotely to OD server from home

For users or potential users.
nmenon

Connect remotely to OD server from home

Post by nmenon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 am

Hello

What is the best way to connect remotely to the OD server from home ? I have Logmein Pro but it is not working that well for me. The connection seems to be ok, but the OD windows do not refresh / come up as you move through OD. I see the outer frame, but no data seems to come up in the first try and I have to resize the OD windows again and again to make the data show up. Am I doing something wrong or is there any tweaks that needs to be done to OD or Logmein to get rid of this ?
Otherthan Logmein, what are the other options to connect remotely ?

savvy

Re: Connect remotely to OD server from home

Post by savvy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 am

I use GotomyPC.
$99/year
Works great!!......except when I use my 10" Acer netbook, then the field of view is greatly reduced such that it is hard to see the bottom of the host screen.
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 am

I don't have that problem at all with LogMein Pro or Free.

Does you 3D tooth chart show OK? Which version of OD are you on? How fast is your connection on either end? What brand of firewall/router do you have on both ends? What version of Windows on both ends?

Logmein also has Logmein Hamachi which is a software VPN, and very easy to set up. Back when it was free, the performance was throttled, so it was great for everything but images. Now that it's a paid for service performance might have improved.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

nmenon

Post by nmenon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 pm

I am not sure why this is happening as well. Heard many use Logmein pro very effectively, so not sure if I need to make any changes in the routers or on the software

We have cable internet connection on both ends. We have Cisco router on either end as well. In the office, we have Windows XP and windows 7 at home. I am on OD 7.4

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 am

I use Windows built in Remote Desktop Connection. Doesn't cost anything. Google it for articles on how to set it up.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:06 am

Remote Desktop works great if you have a PRO version of windows and a static IP or a dynamic ip updater such as noip.com.

We have used LogMeIn FREE for years now and it works very nicely. It is fast, quality image (you can change the quality) and it is so easy set-up and then to access from the outside. No router or port forwarding and you can have multiple computers with remote access with NO additional network setup. I highly recommend it. And did I mention it was free? (Home or Pro versions of windows...doesn't matter)

3d Chart works flawlessly. there were issues with the 3D chart long ago...but not for at least a year...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

drfredc

Post by drfredc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Logmein has several different settings for graphics so that those with slower connections can still get stuff done. The default is pretty slow mediocre graphics...

If you don't have the graphics settings on one of the medium to high settings, you get less than optimal performance while viewing OD. You may not even see the chart. Ditto for looking at xrays and photo images, which can be displayed in a useless 16 color display if the settings aren't high enough.

As I recall, there's instructions on how to change the graphics settings at the logmein site.

shrinivas

Post by shrinivas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Try using gosupportnow.com remote support service. It is easy to use, works on both MAC and windows computers.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:27 am

From gosupportnow main features list:
"After an attendee fills in session ID and password, one click from the attendee releases computer control to you so that you can instantly see and control the attendee's desktop."

You have to have someone on the other end to be able to use this service. Not very helpful for looking up a patient after hours.

doctordoom

Post by doctordoom » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am

I use windows built in remote desktop. I even figured out how to get it activated in windows 7 home premium (as opposed to professional or ultimate).