adding new computer

For users or potential users.
dentistglen

adding new computer

Post by dentistglen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:30 pm

I have a older version of open-dental and apparently have installed a newer version on my new computer. Now the other computer including the "server" will not let me open opendental- stating a newer verison has been installed. How do I get rid of the newer version and reinstall the older version of open dental on the new computer and be able to open the older version on the "server". I have a total of 4 computers so one of my computer serves as a server. It did ask me about my data base and I clicked yes. Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: adding new computer

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 am

So I assume you are not on support? If you were on support, the obvious solution would be to upgrade all the computers to a newer version.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

dentistglen

Post by dentistglen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 am

So is the only solution or can you recommend any other solutions as our last version was 5 months ago. Thanks

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm

dentistglen,

First, backup all your data.

If you have the original installation files from the first install, uninstall OpenDental. Then, reinstall with your original installation version. Sounds logically to me, but I'm not an expert by any means with OD.

If you don't have the original version, do you know which you started with? I found the following link about previous versions:
http://70.90.133.65:1942/ODBugTracker/P ... sions.aspx
But... doesn't have download links. Anyone know if there is a link to previous versions?

OpenDental's support is first class. If you can't get this figured out, I'd suggest renewing with them. The upgrades and service are worth it.

dentistglen

Post by dentistglen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for all your help. Last question is- if I am to add another computer to the network using the older version- how do I do that- or please provide me with a link on this forum for the instructions- Once again- thank you to all for the help!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 am

No, the suggestion won't work because you already have the older versions installed on all your computers. It actually requires altering the database using a tool. You would change the preference table. Look for the row that's called "ProgramVersion" (not "DataBaseVersion") and change it to your old version. Make sure to include all 4 numbers in the version number.

To prevent this in the future, you should not connect to an older database with a newer program version unless you intend to upgrade to that version.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com